This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Debayan Das. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

What Pokémon Brought To The 90s Kid In India Has Turned Into A Rage

By Debayan Das:

12300252If you have grown up singing to the tunes of the Pokémon theme song or tried to imitate Goku in every possible way imaginable, then Congrats! You have watched the right television shows during your childhood. And if you are still on that track, unable to part with your favourite collection of ‘tazos’ or Duel Master Cards or even the Pokémon Red Emulators, then you, my friend, is what we call an ‘Otaku’ – completely bonkers about anime and manga.

And if you have landed here accidentally then briefly – Japanese hand-draw or computerised animations are called ‘Anime’ while manga refers to a unique style of art that’s peculiar to Japanese comics. A majority of the 90s Indian kids had grown up watching Cartoon Network and were quite surprised with the sudden freshness of content when the channel started telecasting popular anime shows like Pokémon, Dragonball Z, and Naruto. This opened up a new world for these toon addicts to explore as such visual content wasn’t easily available to most (with Animax – a channel dedicated to providing real anime exposure – unavailable in most Indian TVs back in the days of cable connections).

castle-in-the-sky
A still from Hayao Miyazaki’s Laputa In The Sky.

In Japan, anime is like a cult. It is as commonplace and celebrated as Bollywood is in India. People from all age groups take this form of art quite seriously, and characters and genres have their dedicated fan following.

However, in India, anime is still a foreign concept. One of the most common misconceptions is confusing ‘cartoons’ and ‘anime’ which are two different styles of animation altogether. While cartoons and anime are both caricature sketches that are in turn animated, the latter has a very distinct style of art using specific visual elements for its characters. Anime originated in Japan and is aimed not just for humour (unlike cartoons) but quite often branch into stories that deal with serious issues, adventures, romance or anything else for that matter. A majority of the animes are based on manga comics which were not easily available in India until online shopping companies started selling anime DVDs and manga comics from other parts of the world.

However, it would be wrong to say that the anime culture isn’t developing in India. Growing fan clubs; online social media groups are providing great platforms to share and gather information; stores are printing anime clothes, cups, gifts and other merchandise for shopping in several areas. Though not in every city, Comic Cons are being organized and promoted as well. Awareness is increasing, but slowly.

op124m91sqtgc53naafd
There’s something for everyone. Tokyo Ghoul

But what’s so special about Anime? Isn’t it just another type of cartoon? Well, that’s something you can and should decide for yourself! Try out some of the recommended classics from the list below and you will realize that it’s more than just a show – it’s a feeling!

Here are some Animes you’d love to watch:

• Death Note
  • Naruto
  • Dragonball Z
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • One Piece
  • Fairy Tail
  • Pokémon
  • Bleach
  • Attack on Titan
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Code Geass
  • Hunter X Hunter
  • Clannad
  • One Punch Man
  • Tokyo Ghoul
  1. Mysterious

Nice article ! I sure have grown up watching pokèmon dragonballZ beyblade and Digimon all thanks to the Japanese channels

2. Wishvesh Chaturvedi

Death Note at the top in the recommended list ? … Nice .

3. Fiza Azam

There are a ton of anime out there including bleach, fairy tail, one punch man, and if you are interested in sports then kuroko’s basketball, haikyuu(volleyball) and many other anime will leave you speechless at a moment and make you laugh at other part…It becomes a lifestyle once you have anime on tv

4. Amlan Nanda

Good anime is not always these recent ones. The best anime are ALWAYS films of Studio Ghibli. So if you have just watched some shonen stuff and are yelling ‘anime is so cool’, be prepared as they are nothing in front of the ghibli gems like : Princess Mononoke, spirited away, my neighbour totoro, tale of princess kaguya, wind rises, pom poko, whisper of the heart, nausicaa of the valley of the wind and many more.

1. sehaj veer

What

5. Aquib Hussain

Death note… Death note…. Death note…. Death note!!!!!!!! What is this obsession with death note!!!! Its a great anime. No doubt about… But its way too mainstream these days… Why didn’t you mentioned animes like Ghost in the shell and my hero academia??? AND MORE IMPORTANTLY… BOKU NO POKO!!

6. Ishaan Suresh

Death Note is a very good anime to start off but if you liked the deep levels of psychology and liked the action in Code Geass Neon Genesis Evangalion is an anime which is very worth mentioning because it dwells deep within the psychology of each and every character and the action is even better than Code Geass.

7. Ishaan Suresh

You could go on a site called my anime list and go to the top anime section and see which one you find most interesting.

More from Debayan Das

By Karthika S Nair

By Samrat Vidrohi

By Mohan Singh