A Powerful Appeal From A Kashmiri Youth: ‘Care For Kashmiris, Not Just For Kashmir’

By Darakhshan:

An Indian police officer walks past an injured youth after police chased away Kashmiri Shi'ite mourners who tried to defy a curfew and take out a Muharram procession, in Srinagar December 15, 2010. Authorities on Wednesday imposed a curfew in parts of Srinagar, the summer capital of Indian-administered Kashmir to thwart planned Muharram processions, local media reported. Muslims all over the world mourn the slaying of Imam Hussein, grandson of Prophet Mohammad, during the first ten days of the Islamic month of Muharram. Imam Hussein was killed by his political rivals along with 72 companions in the 7th century battle of Kerbala. The injured boy said that he was beaten by Indian police after he took refuge inside a shop. REUTERS/Fayaz Kabli (INDIAN-ADMINISTERED KASHMIR - Tags: CIVIL UNREST POLITICS RELIGION CRIME LAW) - RTXVQLW
Image credit: Reuters/Fayaz Kabli.

The Army went on killing Kashmiris unabated and merciless, with many deaths being unaccounted for. I do not have words to describe my feelings. Almost 94,000 people have been killed and counting. I don’t understand why they are doing this to us if they are here to protect us. Our protectors have turned into butchers. They are killing us without any reason and what is more disturbing is that there is no inquiry which yields any result. Things are still the same as they were only the atrocities and brutalities have increased and so have the ways to shield their men.

You know what? It’s not easy to live in Kashmir as it’s totally unpredictable. One never knows what’s going to come his/her way. When, early in the morning, you leave your home, you are not sure whether you will be back alive or on some men’s shoulders. We live with a deep sense of fear. I bet no other people of others states can carry on with their lives like we do. Only God gives us the strength to continue. Our undying spirit makes us go on and on.

We are in our land but the surroundings seem alien. The civilians and the security forces are deeply alienated with each other. You have to carry your identity proof when you are leaving your home because on your way you will be frisked, harassed, humiliated, and sometimes marked as suspicious and then you have to bear their wrath. If you are found without your ID card you are beaten black and blue. Your house is checked and ransacked in case you live on the outskirts on the suspicion that you provide shelter to militants. You are dragged to different interrogation centres for they have information against you which, of course, they sometimes don’t bother to verify. You are beaten, electric shocks are given to you. Every kind of torture is performed on your body and, then, finally, either you or your dead body is thrown in the fields or forests.

What is our fault? What have we done? Being a Kashmiri and that too a Kashmiri Muslim qualifies you for such harsh treatment. Playgrounds were turned into graveyards and the count is still on. Army men should make their stand very clear. They must tell us whether they are here for our protection or for the opposite purpose. Such incidents like the recent gruesome Handwara carnage are not new to Kashmir. But, that is not the question.

In other states, the forces don’t use even their lathis to disperse mobs. Their ‘water’ is enough. But here, stones are answered with bullets that too on your head. They target us here directly. They want to kill our youth because we are mere numbers for them. They shower us with bullets and within no time our roads turn into pools of blood. Is our blood cheaper than the people of other states or is there a motive is to kill us and deprive us of our land which is probably what they mean when they say Kashmir is ‘ours’?

How many mothers lose their sons, sisters their brothers, wives their husbands and how many become orphans? Is this what we can expect in the form of protection by the security forces? I want to make this point very clear that all Kashmiris don’t want to settle with Pakistan. No, at least, I don’t want to. If India cannot give us autonomy, fine. But, at least, don’t kill us for fake reasons. Protect us. Make us feel that you really care for Kashmiris and not just for Kashmir.

It is a fact that the armed forces provide many facilities to villagers including medical, educational, recreational, agricultural help and much more. But, then, all these efforts are overlooked because what they do is not acceptable. Stop killing innocents. Restrain the use of force. Be tolerant and let us live happily.

1. Jitender Kohli

This is the one sided pic you are presenting, where and who are sheltering the militants? Recently Handawara incidence based on rumour made you Kashmir youth so violent to attack the defence force picket to burn and kill. Have you people verified it first if the incidence was true? What permits you to kill Jawans who are also human, protecting you from militants. During encounter with terrorists you start pelting stone on force, start raising abuse against force and nation who is caring you, you initiate pelting stones and anti-nation slogans for killed terrorists, you crowd to bury them with your religious flavour, do you not accepting that you are with terrorism? Have you ever allowed non-Kashmiri Muslim to live, settle or go for trade in valley? Have you any season of Amarnath yatra which was without your attacking those pilgrims? Though entire nation allowed you to perform Hazz passing through other states, you are getting medicare and education in other states feeling free to move at any place including visiting you religious places. Can you show with pride that you have kept worship places of non-kashmiri Muslims intact? Are you accepting and respecting or loving the students of other states in valley educational institutions?What you are projecting with waving Pakistani and ISISI flags especially on each Friday after prayers? Still you say you are alienate, no you are not but you have made others so. You seek all monetary help from Nation and curse in response to that. Be part of main society if you want your so-called suspicious status vanishes, start loving, respecting non-Kashmiri Muslims. Go for adjust and adopt policy which is must for the society to work and live as human..

2. Mohit Gandhi

They are there to protect you but if you pelt stones on them and try to kill army officers what options do they have left like if i pelt stone on you you would also respond voilently and beat the crap out of me and my supporters will cry innocent child beaten in kashmir for pelting stone at kashmiri

3. Arjundhan

Why are Kashmiri Muslims so supportive of the terrorists.
    On one side you bomb army, create and get suicide bombers from all parts of world…
    If Kmulims had followed real islam they would not have acted this way…
    Laks of Kasmiri pandits were mercilessly harassed, killed hindu women raped where were the Kmulims at that time.
    This is the situation of what you reap is what you sow
    Go to hell

4. Sabina Jamshed

I have been saddened by comments below. Just because Kashmiris are Muslims doesn’t qualify them to be treated in such an inhuman manner, Recently the Jat agitators killed, Looted and destroyed property worth crores while the army and police stood watching silently. Obviously the political leadership had passed strict orders n ot to fire at people. The Kashmiris are treated as foreigners on their own soil so no wonder they have so many complaints. On top of that their children like the young cricketer are shot at randomly. It’s high time the armed forces are punished for murdering Kashmiris.

5. Sabina Jamshed

I have been saddened by comments below. Just because Kashmiris are Muslims doesn’t qualify them to be treated in such an inhuman manner, Recently the Jat agitators killed, looted and destroyed property worth crores while the army and police stood watching silently. Obviously the political leadership had passed strict orders not to fire at people. The Kashmiris are treated as foreigners on their own soil so no wonder they have so many complaints. On top of that their children like the young cricketer are shot at randomly. It’s high time the rest of India comes forward to stand up for the rights of Kashmiris.

6. Mani

How about 1000 Kashmiris come and live outside Kashmir? Kashmiri Pandits were chased out of their homes on one night and none of you showed the reality to us at that time. Why?

1000 people from outside Kashmir will live in Kashmir and lets make an exchange. You should let the article 370 be removed and we will come and buy properties in Kashmir and make it home, just like we go to Mumbai and Bengaluru our homes.

Then you can see the real India and we can see real Kashmir. Is this deal acceptable to you?

Stop hurting Indian army as they are trying to protect you and dying for this cause. They also have families and their families also cry for them. Our hearts bleed when the army people are dying with your stones and bomb blasts.

By Be a Bridge for Change - BBC

By Suranya

By Sartaj aziz