#NewsInTweets: Major Amit Deswal Killed In An Encounter In Manipur, And More

Posted on April 14, 2016 in News

By YKA Staff:

What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:

1. Major Amit Deswal of the Army’s Special Forces was killed in an encounter in Manipur, with Zeliangrong United Front (ZUF) militants.

2. After Kollam temple tragedy, a decision will be taken today on whether the Thrissur Pooram festival should be celebrated in Kerala or not.

3. Barack Obama forgave the student loans of nearly 400,000 students with disabilities, amounting to $7.7 billion.

4. Death toll rises to 4 in Kashmir. A curfew was imposed in Handwara, Srinagar and neighbouring villages to control the situation, mobile internet services have been suspended.

5. Amazon launches the latest version of its e-reader: Kindle Oasis.

6. BCCI says it will be difficult to shift IPL matches out of Maharashtra, but the board is working on an alternative solution.

7. Today marks the 125th birth anniversary of B. R. Ambedkar. The Bhim Yatra, in honour of Ambedkar, came to an end yesterday after travelling for 125 days across India, demanding an end to manual scavenging in India.

Update: An earlier version of this piece carried a dated news report from Assam. We have removed it and apologise for the same.