#NewsInTweets: Centre Sends More Troops To Handwara; 28 Dead In Equador Earthquake

Posted on April 17, 2016 in News, Specials

By YKA Staff:

What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:

1. Tension prevailed in Handwara as Centre sent more troops to the district. The J & K High Court has asked the police under which law they detained the girl who accused a soldier of molestation.

2. At least 28 died in an earthquake in Equador, measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale.

3. Phase 2 of West Bengal elections begins today.

4. A 24-year-old engineering student was arrested for stabbing 3 dogs outside Green Park metro station in Delhi. Police sources said he had been suffering from depression.

5. Nitish Kumar gives a call for ‘Sangh-mukt Bharat’, says all parties must unite to get rid of the divisive ideology of the Sangh and defeat the BJP.

6. A case was filed against a State Union Minister’s son in Hyderabad for rash driving.

7. The Pope brought 12 Syrian Muslim refugees back with him to Rome, after his visit to Lesbos in Greece.

8. Scientists develop a graphene-based censor to detect indoor air pollution.