#NewsInTweets: Protests Demand Justice For The Alleged Rape And Murder Of Delta Meghwal

Posted on April 5, 2016 in News

By YKA Staff:

What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:

1. Protests demanding justice for Delta Meghwal, a Dalit teenager who was allegedly raped and murdered, took place in Delhi, Bangalore and Rajasthan. According to Bikaner S.P. Satnam Singh, the rape has been confirmed and the teacher accused of the crime is now in police custody.

2. JNU and HCU have been ranked among the top universities in India.

3. Drought in Bundelkhand forced 18 lakh people to migrate to Delhi, between April 2015 and March 2016.

4. Lakhimpur rape survivor denied stretcher at a local hospital. Doctors refused to touch her.

5. A 31-year-old Dalit clerk committed suicide alleging harassment. He was working at an Ahmedabad court and is said to have written names of five of his colleagues who had allegedly hurled casteist remarks at him.

6. Aligarh Muslim University is not a minority institution: Govt. to SC.

7. Gatimaan Express: India’s fastest train is set to hit the tracks today.