By YKA Staff:
What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:
1. Protests at NIT Srinagar continue with a bandh being called for. Organisations such as Jammu Province People’s Forum, Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers party and Sri Ram Sena have called for the ‘bandh’. Family members of injured students protested and asked for security of students.
2. HRD Minister Smriti Irani promises 100% fee waiver for Dalit, SC/ST students and persons with disabilities at IITs.
3. Two wanted Hizbul Mujahideen militants killed in Shopian after a gun battle with security forces in south Kashmir.
4.Heat wave in Telangana: Govt. confirms 66 people died due to heat last year. It has warned citizens from stepping out in the heat this year.
5. 2015 saw the most number of executions in the world since 1989, according to Amnesty International.
6. Junk food and sugar-sweetened beverages will be subject to higher tax and tougher advertising norms soon, in a move to fight diabetes and obesity in India.
7. Bombay HC says water used in maintaining cricket pitches is a criminal waste. It has suggested that the 20 IPL matches to be played in Maharashtra be shifted to other states.
Youth Ki Awaaz is an open platform where anybody can publish. This post does not necessarily represent the platform's views and opinions.