This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Aditya Ramteke. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

5 Things About Building A Career In Photography I Learnt First Hand

More from Aditya Ramteke

By Aditya Ramteke:

ranbir_photography_2
Source: YouTube.

Photography has emerged as one of the most attractive career options in recent years. Individuals have started taking it as a serious business and are putting their best foot forward to show their creativity to others. Here, I want to give you some insights about the bright side of choosing photography as a career. After learning photography after my graduation and by being a freelance photographer for last three years I can justify whatever I’m going to tell you now.

Be Focused And Specific

During the 90s, if you pursued photography as a career, you could have captured everything that came your way. But now, I will recommend that you gradually find your area of interest and what you are emotionally attached to. This will help you to focus your photography in a particular province in which you can proceed in your career. Being specialised in a particular area of photography will allow you to enhance your skills in that particular domain. As per my experience, this will fetch you better job opportunities and photography projects with a good amount of money. There are a number of photography colleges in Delhi that offer specialisations in wildlife photography, wedding photography or underwater photography. So, choose a particular area and experience the difference in your career growth.

Go Beyond The Boundaries

If you endeavour to become a successful photographer, start thinking beyond set boundaries. As a child in school, I always believed that securing good marks and having a good reputation in front of the teachers was what mattered. But reality is different. You will have to think out of the box for making an impressive career in photography. Take more pictures whatever the occasion may be. Start exploring new things, expand your network, market yourself effectively so that you can grab people’s attention. For me, photography is all about gaining new experiences in life and capturing them well in photos and creating memories.

Opt For Professional Photography Courses

With the growing interest of individuals in photography, there are many institutes that have come up with professional courses. I will suggest you to join the photography courses available in India which will give you an insight into all the perks of choosing photography as your full-time career. I suggest you be vigilant enough to choose the right institute that serves you great benefits. These courses will help you to polish your skills and learn the basics of photography. Seeking advice from my teachers or other individuals has helped me a lot to know about the details related to the course.

Have Patience

You might be fantasising that as soon as you become a photographer, you will turn into a millionaire. But this is not the real picture. For me, the initial days were very unproductive and did not give me with the right recognition. So, you need to be patient if you want to build a career in this field. Don’t give up and capture as many moments as possible. Believe me, it might take time to reach the heights, but it is worth the wait.

Design An Attractive Portfolio

Designing an impressive portfolio is a crucial requirement for building a career in photography. As a beginner, it was a challenging task for me to build a portfolio. But when I started working as a professional photographer, I invested most of my time in creating an impressive portfolio. Whatever be your projects, try to take the best pictures possible as it creates an impact on the viewers. If you are working in different areas, you can make different portfolios. There are many institutes offering courses in still photography in Delhi like Sri Aurobindo Centre For Arts And Communication that can also help you to design a portfolio. It can even decide whether you win or lose an assignment. So, work hard in this regard.

For being a successful photographer, you need to be creative to reach great heights. So, if you are someone who thinks out of the box, join a photography course and live your dreams.

More from Aditya Ramteke

By Namrata Vijay

By Sneha Banerjee

By Mrigakshi Talukdar