Good Education & A Job: 14 Sex Workers On What They Want For Their Child’s Future

Posted on May 22, 2016 in Video

By Tushar Pandey:

We know there’s nothing in this world that can compare to a mother. She is the embodiment of true love, care and sacrifices. All the mothers in the world hope to see big things for their children in the future. But when we say all the mothers, do we include the mothers who are sex workers by profession? Do we also acknowledge the dreams and visions they have for their children?

To find the answers, Yathartha Pictures, a YouTube channel that makes youth-oriented awareness videos, recently visited Kamathipura, the 2nd largest red-light district of Asia. The team interviewed 14 sex workers who are mothers and are working hard to secure a future for their children.

Neel Sarkar conceived, directed, and edited the video; Tushar Pandey was the cameraman and project coordinator while Shivani Singh and Divyansh Gala were the anchors. Asha Mahila Sanstha, an NGO that addresses the common concerns of Mumbai’s sex workers, helped the team to meet the sex workers at Kamathipura.
“We made this video to honour the mothers of India’s red light districts,” says Tushar Pandey.