This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Himanshi Upadhyaya. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

11 Indian Politicians That Remind Me Of ‘Game Of Thrones’ Characters

By Himanshi Upadhyaya:

Who hasn’t heard of ‘Game of Thrones’? I am pretty sure each one of you is aware of the mighty series. I mean, c’mon. ‘GOT’ is everywhere – the hoardings, the internet, the banners, the wallpapers, your tees, my walls – it’s everywhere! You’ve got to admit it, nothing has been this huge since our very own Harry Potter. The King and the Queen, the Lords and the Ladies, the Knights and the Squires and of course, not to forget the wildlings and the white walkers that take us to a far-off land of wild imagination and fantasies.

Every Monday for 10 weeks straight, us fans discover the fate of our favourite characters that are mercilessly killed off in the most barbarous ways by the man behind it all – George R.R. Martin. On the other hand are our beloved politicians who are the real knights and kings in their own right. It is they who play the real ‘game of thrones’. Like every other ‘GOT’ fan, I watch the show religiously and discuss it with my friends. One such discussion is what got me to thinking that ‘GOT’ is set very much along the lines of politics and, since I am an Indian and more familiar with Indian politicians, I’d like to present a comparison between the same.

Lord Eddard Stark

GOT 1

Known for his unwavering sense of honour and justice, he somehow resembles our very own Mr. Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ji, the former Prime Minister of India. It will not be wrong to say that the ‘north’ remembers both of them!

Daenerys Targaryen aka Khaleesi

GOT 2

Yes, we have a Khaleesi in India and even though she may not be seen as ‘conventionally sexy’, she is indeed beautiful. Worshipped by many and hailed as Amma in the state of Tamil Nadu, the former chief minister was not an arsonist, but she had a past that can make you cringe.

P.S. She may not have been the mother of dragons, but she sure was Amma to the poor.

Cersei Lannister

GOT 3

The Lannisters are very much similar to our very own Gandhi family with respect to the power that they had acquired in the past decades. Very much like the current situation in our very own country, the Lannisters are facing similar hurdles in their lives. Cersei’s character reminds me of the very puissant Mrs. Sonia Gandhi! Just like Cersei, she married a ‘Prince’ from a foreign land and became the Queen in her own right. She can go to any extent to make sure that her kids are safe and well, let’s be honest, Sonia Ji does that every other day. Also, just like Cersei, she loves her dear son more than anything in this world.

Tommen

GOT 4

Along with mommy, let’s tag along the baby boy. Yes, you guessed it right. Plump, good-looking and weak-willed, as many would argue. Just like his alter ego is our very own ‘young’ prince, Rahul Gandhi! They both try really hard but, time and again, they have proven that they are no darn good to hold their respective titles.

Tywin Lannister

GOT 5

Let’s not leave the grandpa behind. Just like Tywin had been the Hand of the King, Nehru Ji was the right hand of Mahatma Gandhi too! Though Nehru Ji wasn’t as ruthless as Tywin Lannister, but even then the resemblance between the two is uncanny. Both of them lost their wives at a young age and both of them laid down an empire for their families to rule for decades. They are both the perfect embodiment of power.

Roose Bolton

GOT 6

Mild-mannered, cold, calculating and an infallible skill for strategy are the characteristic traits of Lord Bolton. He is in dire need of a son who can ensure that his empire grows manifold and he finds the same in his bastard son, Ramsay Snow. Now, our desi Boltons may not be as uncouth and sadistic as their counterparts, but yes, many people would agree that gunda-raj flourishes in their reign. Yes, you guessed it right! Mulayam Singh Yadav seems to be the missing piece in our game of thrones. Not to forget, both of them were the wardens of ‘North’. Thank goodness, Mr. Akhilesh Yadav did not turn out to be a monster like Ramsay Bolton! Touche.

Walder Frey

GOT 7

He is a bitter man who is always competing with other noblemen for some reason or the other. He is a difficult man to please, since he is easily offended and hence, it is hard to deal with him. Having said that, he has achieved enough on his own that can last for generations to come. This character bears resemblance to our own Mr. Lalu Prasad Yadav. They both have quite a few kids too!

Petyr Baelish

GOT 8

Littlefinger has always been an unfathomable character. He seemed to be doing something but we never got to know of his real intentions. At times, he seemed to the most sensible and learned man while at others, he was an inscrutable man whose actions are impossible to decipher. One such man in our political dimension is Shashi Tharoor. He may be extremely talented and a highly educated man, but his words are indeed difficult to interpret.

Ser Davos

GOT 9

He’s a perspicacious and a sagacious man, but he is devoted to a man to such an extent that all his wisdom and knowledge is not even worth a dime. His behavioural traits are very similar to the one and only Dr. Manmohan Singh. Just like Dr. Singh is often referred to as a puppet of the Gandhi clan, Ser Davos is a puppet of Stannis Baratheon.

Lady Olenna

GOT 10

Yes, we have someone who has the hallmarks of Lady Olenna back in India. Just like Lady Olenna, she is extremely powerful and hungry for more. She cannot be dethroned from her position as she has a formidable spirit and an eloquent personality. They call her Dadi in ‘GOT’, we call her Didi in India. Mamata Banerjee, she is!

And the last one is…..

Yara Greyjoy

GOT 11

She’s a woman of valour and strength stuck in a world of unlettered and ignorant men. She is full of potential and she has to go a long way. A lot is at stake, but she is a warrior, she will put on a fight and she will survive. The only woman who made a place for herself in the ‘men’s world’ is Kiran Bedi, an inspiration for many. She faced similar hurdles in life, but emerged as a champion in the end!

I could have come up with a few more, but I’ve got to get back to my studies and save myself from the embarrassment of flunking in my examinations. I know I can nail it!

P.S. Please note that in no way have I intended to defame any politician or character for that matter. This article has been written in good faith and I expect you all to have a good time reading it whilst you wait for the next episode’s torrent link to be available on the internet!

1. test

Modi is Jon snow..?

2. Ganesh Prasad

Well done. You write very well.

3. Amlan

I am in love with the writer

4. Shrikant

Awsm one 🙂

5. CV

That’s brilliant! I think George R. R. Martin has been taken inspiration from Indian politics only.
    I am just waiting for some of them to die asap.

6. Taarini

Haha creative.
    Although,
    Kiran bedi isn’t the ‘only’ woman who made a place for herself in the men’s world.

7. Soham

I think Indira Gandhi would be a better Lady Olenna than Didi.

8. Dini

You seem to have picked your pics well too. The physical resemblance is uncanny.

9. Rohit

Very nice. . Too Good.. almost perfect.. Brilliant Observations

Errr.. except the Last one !

10. ASOIAF Fan

“Like every other ‘GOT’ fan, I watch the show religiously and discuss it with my friends”

A true fan, does not refer to her/himself as a ‘GOT’ fan, rather as a ASOIAF fan. Please, do not embarrass your wannabe selves.

11. Jon snow

Only, lannisters pay their debts 🙂

12. Skemo

Modi would be Tyrion lannister and Amit can be Bron…

13. Debraj Moulick

Thank God ..you are in the field of English Literature..Keep it up.Highly enjoyable

14. Abhishek Bhoj

You have written a extremely well article .. I am happy that you are prospering as a great writer. Your posts are getting shared by top political shots like Shashi Tharoor matters a lot. I can see the emergence of a legend from Kumaun.

15. Abhinav Jindal

These BJP sponsored articles really don’t get old. I don’t understand the flak that India’s first prime minister is facing. What you and your fellow bhakts fails to understand is that the gods at BJP and the Sangh that you worship with such dedication did not play a role in India’s freedom struggle. HE was there, a true freedom fighter, rightly awarded the place that he deserved I’m a free India. He lead her through the struggle, then in his last moments he led her against the traitor neighbor China. And you compare him to Tywin. Shame on you. It’s one thing to further BJP and RSS propaganda and target the current crop of Congress leaders, it’s an entirely different story when you resort to rediculing the great freedom fighters of the past. SHAME on YOU. You are just as ignorant as the rest of these bhakts. You shouldn’t BE the one enlightening the youth with your poisonous views.

16. IKnowNothing

Wrong usage of the word Touche. Otherwise it was a good article.

17. Praveen

Gud job . U have marvellous creative skill keep rocking

18. Mbpatil

brilliant observations.. Except Davos with MMS

19. Bala

😀 Great! Expecting more characters.

20. Varun

Modi is the mad king…himanshi just proved it by not mentioning modi because she would have to take the post down or face the consequences

21. Kingpin

Petyr Baelish = Arvind Kejriwal

22. Kumat

Modi is Ramsey 🙂 RSS has made him dickless and a coward.

23. Prithvi

Terrible pick of Characters – Clearly you don’t know your politicians nor Game of Thrones.

24. Amit Upadhyaya

Hahaha pretty apt

25. Jeevan Bordoloi

The worst comparison of anything with anything I have ever read. Hilarious.

More from Himanshi Upadhyaya

By malvika

By Riddhi Morkhia

By Megha Sharma