How Pakistani Women Are Shutting Down Those Who Wish To ‘Lightly Beat Their Wives’

Posted on May 31, 2016 in GlobeScope

By YKA Staff:

The Council of Islamic Ideology, also known as CII, recently proposed a bill to authorise husbands to exercise “limited violence” at home if required. According to the proposal, A husband should be allowed to lightly beat his wife if she defies his commands and refuses to dress up as per his desires; turns down demand of intercourse without any religious excuse or does not take bath after intercourse or menstrual periods.”

A proposed set of guidelines for domestic violence is not only hideous but outrageous and shameful too, especially in a country like Pakistan, where women are anyway treated as second-class citizens, where discrimination against women is a daily phenomenon, where women are not only oppressed financially but physically and sexually too. And to add to that, Pakistan is the third-most dangerous country in the world for women to live in according to an article published by The New Economy.

No sooner did the proposed bill surface did it whip up a storm across the nation. People, from different walks of life, started opposing it vehemently.

Photographer Fahhad Rajper shared a series of portraits of Pakistani women and featured their reactions to the bill. He named it #TryBeatingMeLightly, to defy what the bill proposed.

seated girl looking at camera

Adeeqa Lalwani
Digital Storyteller
#TryBeatingMeLightly, I’ll become the destruction you will never foresee.

woman wearing spectacles and smiling at the camera

Farah S. Kamal
Education Consultant
“#TryBeatingMeLightly and tell me if you would like yourself to be beaten up lightly?”

Girl seated by a staircase

Priyanka Pahuja
Product Designer turned Digital Marketer
“#TryBeatingMeLightly and I’ll run a car over you with my 7 years of driving experience!”

girl wearing headscarf seated by a staircase

Shagufta Abbas
Doctor
“#TryBeatingMeLightly — I’ll break that hand you raised at me. Remaining damage? I’ll leave it upto Allah.”

Woman with her arms crossed stairs into the camera

Fizza Rehman
Senior Brand Manager
“#TryBeatingMeLightly, I will beat you up lightly too, that too in public. I am very particular about gender equality.”

]girl smiles as she looks into the camera

Sadia Azhar
Digital Marketer and Blogger
“#TryBeatingMeLightly — beat me with your intelligence, if you may. Beat me with your wit. Beat me with your smile. Beat me with your kindness. But if you dare to beat me even with a feather, I’d really beat the shit out of you. With love.”

Alvera Rajper
Medical Student
“#TryBeatingMeLightly — Tell me how would you feel if someone beats your daughter up lightly?”

girl stands still in front of the camera

Rabya Ahmed
Photo Blogger
“#TryBeatingMeLightly – I’m the sun. Touch me and I will burn you like hell fire. I am light, you will try, but you can never stop me. You can never contain me. I am the kind of woman they name hurricanes after. I dare you, #TryBeatingMeLightly.”

A woman smiles at the camera

Sumbul Usman
Social Media Manager
#TryBeatingMeLightly, you won’t survive to see the morning.

a girl, seated and looking into the camera

Amber Zulfiqar
Travel and lifestyle blogger
“#TryBeatingMeLightly and take a punch in the a**!”

girl looks into the camera

Erum Khan
Blogger
“#TryBeatingMeLightly, and be ready to face the consequences.”

woman smiles as she looks into the camera

Sundus Rasheed
School teacher and radio jockey
“#TryBeatingMeLightly, and you’ll regret it for the rest of your miserable life.”