How Pakistani Women Are Shutting Down Those Who Wish To ‘Lightly Beat Their Wives’

By YKA Staff:

The Council of Islamic Ideology, also known as CII, recently proposed a bill to authorise husbands to exercise “limited violence” at home if required. According to the proposal, A husband should be allowed to lightly beat his wife if she defies his commands and refuses to dress up as per his desires; turns down demand of intercourse without any religious excuse or does not take bath after intercourse or menstrual periods.”

A proposed set of guidelines for domestic violence is not only hideous but outrageous and shameful too, especially in a country like Pakistan, where women are anyway treated as second-class citizens, where discrimination against women is a daily phenomenon, where women are not only oppressed financially but physically and sexually too. And to add to that, Pakistan is the third-most dangerous country in the world for women to live in according to an article published by The New Economy.

No sooner did the proposed bill surface did it whip up a storm across the nation. People, from different walks of life, started opposing it vehemently.

Photographer Fahhad Rajper shared a series of portraits of Pakistani women and featured their reactions to the bill. He named it #TryBeatingMeLightly, to defy what the bill proposed.

seated girl looking at camera

Adeeqa Lalwani
Digital Storyteller
#TryBeatingMeLightly, I’ll become the destruction you will never foresee.

woman wearing spectacles and smiling at the camera

Farah S. Kamal
Education Consultant
“#TryBeatingMeLightly and tell me if you would like yourself to be beaten up lightly?”

Girl seated by a staircase

Priyanka Pahuja
Product Designer turned Digital Marketer
“#TryBeatingMeLightly and I’ll run a car over you with my 7 years of driving experience!”

girl wearing headscarf seated by a staircase

Shagufta Abbas
Doctor
“#TryBeatingMeLightly — I’ll break that hand you raised at me. Remaining damage? I’ll leave it upto Allah.”

Woman with her arms crossed stairs into the camera

Fizza Rehman
Senior Brand Manager
“#TryBeatingMeLightly, I will beat you up lightly too, that too in public. I am very particular about gender equality.”

]girl smiles as she looks into the camera

Sadia Azhar
Digital Marketer and Blogger
“#TryBeatingMeLightly — beat me with your intelligence, if you may. Beat me with your wit. Beat me with your smile. Beat me with your kindness. But if you dare to beat me even with a feather, I’d really beat the shit out of you. With love.”

Alvera Rajper
Medical Student
“#TryBeatingMeLightly — Tell me how would you feel if someone beats your daughter up lightly?”

girl stands still in front of the camera

Rabya Ahmed
Photo Blogger
“#TryBeatingMeLightly – I’m the sun. Touch me and I will burn you like hell fire. I am light, you will try, but you can never stop me. You can never contain me. I am the kind of woman they name hurricanes after. I dare you, #TryBeatingMeLightly.”

A woman smiles at the camera

Sumbul Usman
Social Media Manager
#TryBeatingMeLightly, you won’t survive to see the morning.

a girl, seated and looking into the camera

Amber Zulfiqar
Travel and lifestyle blogger
“#TryBeatingMeLightly and take a punch in the a**!”

girl looks into the camera

Erum Khan
Blogger
“#TryBeatingMeLightly, and be ready to face the consequences.”

woman smiles as she looks into the camera

Sundus Rasheed
School teacher and radio jockey
“#TryBeatingMeLightly, and you’ll regret it for the rest of your miserable life.”

1. B

It is so easy to stir up controversy these days, why don’t you just ignore these idiots. By the way, domestic violence is a two way street. Why doesn’t the media show bruised and battered images of men? Research shows that women are more likely to instigate domestic violence, stats show every 14.6 seconds.

The best of you are those who are best to their wives (Hadith)

2. Daredevil

If a man uses force to remove a knife from the hands of a woman who is trying to stab him, he is convicted of domestic violence. The fact that the woman was attempting murder means nothing to the legal system. Then, being convicted of domestic violence he is forced out of contact with his children and required to pay maintenance to the woman for children he doesn’t even get to see and can’t afford to pay his own rent on a low income job, this joining the ranks of the homeless. Is this not discrimination at a deep level. He does not have the right to defend his own life. He does not have the right to leave a dangerous living situation, and does not have the right to protect his own children from this danger because he defended his own life. He does not have the right to work for a living and have a modest roof over his head and food to eat while his wife spends maintenance on drugs and alcohol instead of children’s needs. He doesn’t even have the right to sleep where he can find shelter in a park without police harassment. This is a true story. Of course men are discriminated against! It’s time for the outdated feminists to get their heads out of the sand and stop using invalid arguments. An education in social psychology instead of gender studies might reveal the reasons for differences, and that men and women are born different and socialised differently. Equality for all means social justice for all: Men and women. Not just one or the other. Oppositional philosophies like feminism rely on an attempt to subjugate one group (men) while advancing the cause of another group (women). This is not harmony, equality or pro-social behaviour.

3. Spider-Man

Hahahaha!!! When Saudi Arabia bans females from driving, there is international outrage, but when there are no laws to protect men from domestic violence, and when innocent men are sent to jail in false cases based on nothing but a woman’s word, no one gives a rat’s ass.

4. Batman

Just look at the nature of replies by the women in the article. Besides, a man can get raped or beaten by a woman and society just laughs at him and also if a woman hits a man he is expected to just sit there and take it but if the man so much as lays a hand on her, even in self-defence, she can ruin his life with lies.

5. The Hulk

Men who spend money on women are stupid. If women are equal, let them contribute half financially. And if they get worked up about cooking or cleaning, hire a maid for Rs. 1000/month. You think a woman is ever going to be grateful to you?

6. Batman

99.9% war deaths are of men, 97% workplace deaths are of men, men suffer from 80% of all violent crimes, 75% homeless are men, majority of jobless are men, and men commit suicide twice the rate of women.

What happens to equality when:

1. Seats are reserved for women on buses.
    2. Women are rescued first from wrecked ships.
    3. The media only focuses on women’s issues for ratings.
    4. World’s most dangerous jobs are worked by men, safest by women.
    5. News channels announce deaths of ‘women’ and children.
    6. Juries discriminate against men in domestic violence disputes.
    7. Women have special quotas in the political scenario and corporate world.
    8. Women receive lighter sentences for the same crimes committed by men.
    9. Child custody is given to women is divorce courts, in the majority of cases.
    10. Men have to earn for women, but women are not under any obligation to earn for men.
    11. Domestic violence and dowry are seen as women’s issues, while men are the prime victims.
    12. Men are forced to pay alimony to women. Women don’t give alimony to men.
    13. Men are used as ATMs. Women always marry men who are richer, earn more, ‘well-settled’.
    14. Men die on jobs daily. 97% of work related deaths are of men
    15. Draconian laws where women land men in jail through fake cases of rape, dowry, domestic violence
    16. Men must get down on their knees and propose.
    17. Separate compartment and reserved seats for women in metros.
    18. Women are released first in hostage situations.
    19. Most teachers hired in schools are women.
    20. Men have to pay child support, not women.
    21. Women rescued first from burning buildings.
    22. Men are expected to buy flowers, chocolates, rings, gifts on Valentine’s day.
    23. Lifeboats are reserved for women.
    24. All the awareness and funding for breast cancer. Little for prostate cancer.
    25. Men suffer from mandatory conscription.

7. Huma Tahir

Someone knock some senses into these misandrists. Learn some Islam! There is a very thin circumstance under which God has granted a right to the husband to raise hand on woman but so lightly as to not to leave a mark.

8. Halwa molvi

look i don’t a crap .. you cant even touch a man .. we know how self defence . itni tum agaye john cena ki bachio. ???????? just look at your super over confidence .. NOW PEOPLE WILL CALL ME MULLAH

9. AR KHAN

Why don’t you all study the Quran & Hadees and find out yourself what Islam is all about ?

10. Jack Sparrow

Foolish campaign themed “Misandry”

By Bidisha Bhatacharya

By Raj Iyre

By Yash Johri