In Under 2 Minutes Watch How You Can Help End Water Scarcity In India

Posted on May 18, 2016 in Environment

By Merril Diniz:

As India and many parts of the world experience severe drought, even communities that may have experienced uninterrupted water supply in the past are starting to feel the tremors of the water crisis. Yes, the water crisis has spread its tentacles far and wide, and anyone anywhere can be affected anytime.

To combat this onslaught, the ancient practice of rainwater harvesting has been making a comeback, but perhaps not fast enough. You may have heard of it, in context to the Waterman of India who helped replenish 10,000 reservoirs in Rajasthan, or as an aspect of urban planning that must be incorporated for smarter cities. But what’s becoming more and more apparent is that rainwater harvesting is a community effort, one that takes a building, society or a village.

This video, part of a series on rainwater harvesting, by the Centre for Science and Environment, captures this aspect beautifully, along with the flood of human emotions that are inspired by the first rains.

Believe it or not, collecting and recycling the rain water that falls into your terrace, or backyard is becoming a common practice. If you feel strongly about this issue and have taken the DYI approach to water conservation, please write in and share your experiments in rainwater harvesting with us!