Say “Love You” To Africans Tells Sushma Swaraj, Twitter Tells Her How That’s Wrong

Posted on June 2, 2016 in Politics, Racism

By YKA Staff:

On the night of May 21, Masonda Ketanda Olivier, a Congolese teacher who lived in Delhi, was allegedly beaten to death by a group of men who were intoxicated. And the reason? The three men insisted on boarding the auto rickshaw Olivier had hailed, and at his refusal, they beat, chased and brutally assailed him with stones. Despite being in India for 5 years, Olivier was still seen as an outsider. Just a week after this brutal incident, attacks on 4 Africans were reported in Delhi’s Chhatarpur area, for which 5 men have been arrested. This isn’t an isolated chain of incidents – in the past too, immigrants and foreigners have been subjected to racism.

In response to the unrest following the brutal assault, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj had earlier stated that this “was not a racist attack”. After this blatant ignorance, the minister has now tweeted this appeal.

Not only does this try to over simplify the situation, it continues to turn a blind eye towards the racism that we really need to counter.

Obviously, Twitter users had a fair share to say in response.

Touché

When we will treat fellow Indians with respect?

YES. Exactly.

Fair enough.

Equality is for everyone

LOL

Geography class anyone?

Love solves everything (not)

Practice what you preach.

This says it all.

Unfortunately, there were quite a few out there who proved just how much racism is prevalent in the country and how important it is to first change our mindsets.