#NewsInTweets: Irom Sharmila To Break 16-Year Fast, Will Contest 2017 Manipur Elections

Posted on July 26, 2016 in News

1. Irom Sharmila to end her 16-year fast against AFSPA on August 9. She has said she will to contest 2017 elections in Manipur. AFSPA was enacted in 1958 to empower the Indian Army during counter-insurgency operations in the North East.

2. Addressing a press conference, CRPF DG K. Durga Prasad stated they felt sorry for youth injured by pellet guns but have to use them under extreme situations. The force, however, added that it would continue to use this weapon in extreme situations ‘carefully’, while hoping such situation doesn’t arise in future.

2. At least 19 were killed in a knife attack at a home for persons with disability in Japan. A 26-year-old man was arrested for the crime, and he is claimed to have said, “I want to get rid of the disabled from this world.”

3. Indian diplomats have pulled their children out of schools in Islamabad after New Delhi declared the high commission a “no school-going mission” in June last year.

4. 9 suspected militants were killed in Bangladesh after police raided a hideout in Dhaka.

5. The 17th Kargil Vijay Diwas is being celebrated today to commemorate the victory against Pakistan. Army Chief General Dalbir Singh paid homage at the war memorial in Jammu and Kashmir’s Dras sector.

6. Another Rio-bound athlete, shot putter Inderjeet Singh, has failed a dope test. His inclusion in the games squad is under question.

7. Two teenagers, aged 14 and 18 were identified as the victims of a shooting outside a Florida club yesterday.

8. Flipkart has acquired fashion e-retailer Jabong through Myntra, which it had acquired two years ago.

Get the top news of the day directly in your inbox!