#NewsInTweets: Violence Over Burhan Wani’s Death Kills 23; Mob Drowns Cop In Jhelum

Posted on July 11, 2016 in News

By YKA Staff:

What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:

1. Death toll rises to 23 after Hizbul commander Burhan Wani’s killing in Kashmir. Mob drowns cop in the Jhelum. Authorities are trying to resume the Amarnath Yatra.

2. 26-year-old Junior Resident Doctor at AIIMS found dead in rented flat in Hauz Khas, Delhi. Police suspect death due to overdose of an injection.

3. North Korea has threatened ‘physical action’ against South Korea to counter US anti-missile system that is planned to be deployed.

4. Red sandalwood worth Rs. 16.2 crore seized by the Department of Revenue Intelligence at Chennai port.

5. Today is World Population Day. On July 11, 1987, the world’s population reached approximately 5 billion.

6. ISIS territory has shrunk by 12% in the first 6 months of 2016, according to an analysis by IHS Inc.

7. Indians in South Sudan are safe even as a battle rages between the army and former rebels. The Indian embassy has asked Indians to stay calm.

Featured and banner image credit: Waseem Andrabi/Hindustan Times via Getty Images.