#NewsInTweets: Top Hizbul Mujahideen Commander Burhan Wani Killed In Police Encounter

Posted on July 9, 2016 in News

By YKA Staff:

What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:

1. Hizbul Mujahideen’s top commander Burhan Wani was killed in a police encounter late July 8. The 22-year-old had become the poster boy of Kashmir’s militancy and had garnered a large following because of his use of social media. Earlier this year, YKA had run a profile on Wani, and conducted an interview with his father Muzaffar Wani. Also part of our coverage was a detailed report on why young educated Kashmiris were picking up arms against the state.

Mobile internet services have been disconnected, curfew has been imposed in several parts of J&K.

2. Following the death of Burhan Wani, the Amarnath Yatra has been suspended due to security concerns.

3. The Supreme Court has questioned Army presence in Manipur under AFSPA, saying that indefinite deployment of armed forces in the name of restoring normalcy under AFSPA “would mock at our democratic process”.

4. At least 13 Muslims from Kerala, who have been missing for a month, are suspected to have joined the ISIS.

5. Four Lady Shri Ram College students bagged the highest paid summer internship this year of Rs 2 lakh each with Embraco, a Brazilian company.

6. According to Association for Democratic Reforms, more than 30% of the ministers in the NDA government have criminal cases pending against them.

7. Coastal areas in China have been put on red alert as Typhoon Nepartak approaches. Sea waves as high as nine metres are expected.

8. Abdul Sattar Edhi, a prominent Pakistani philanthropist died at the age of 92. Edhi, also called “Pakistan’s Mother Teresa” had done extensive work in the field of social service including formation of the Edhi village 25 years ago.