15 August, 1947: 10 Iconic Photos From The Day That Marked India’s Freedom

By YKA Staff:

It has almost been 70 years since India got independence. Today, Narendra Modi, the 15th Prime Minister of India, addressed the nation from Red Fort and spoke about problem solving, innovation and countering terrorism. 69 years ago on this day, our first PM Jawaharlal Nehru delivered the first address of this kind, a speech that’s iconic today as India’s ‘Tryst With Destiny’. We’ve come a long way, but let’s never forget the struggle put in by thousands so that we could be here today. Here are 10 iconic photos from August 15, 1947 that all Indians must see.

Lord Mountbatten swears in Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru as the first Prime Minister of free India at the ceremony held at 8.30 a. m.on August 15, 1947.

PM Nehru addresses the nation from the Red Fort on 15 August 1947.

Political freedom for one-fifth of human race: The front page of The Statesman, on August 15, 1947

Overcrowded refugee train, Punjab, 1947

The front page of the Hindustan Times on August 15, 1947

Lord Mountbatten, Edwina Mountbatten and Jawaharlal Nehru at the first Independence Day celebrations

Political Freedom For One-Fifth Of Human Race: The front page of The Statesman on August 15, 1947

Flag hoisted in Chandni Chowk in New Delhi on Independence Day in 1947

A stamp from August 15, 1947

People throng to Red Fort on August 15, 1947 to hear the first I-Day speech.

Images courtesy: Wikipedia Commons