For The Love Of Coffee

Posted on August 30, 2016

A cup of coffee happens to be one of my favourite things. I’m one of those people who can’t function without coffee. It’s a kind of a drug and I need it in order to keep my body and soul together. Coffee, to me, is a medicine I can’t live without. My ‘medicine’ contains caffeine. But unfortunately, the utter ridiculousness of the so called modern coffee culture and it’s ever so demanding and expensive (to some extent) preparation made me minimise its consumption.

Now, whenever I go to a local store nearby to shop for groceries, I have this habit of picking up any brand of coffee. I don’t run after brands. I just need coffee. But coffee, in my opinion, has lost its charm. The instant coffee powder we buy today lacks that ‘real’ flavour, that powerful surge, it lacks that aroma of roasted coffee beans.

One fine day, when I started deconstructing the entire process of making a hearty cup of coffee, I ended up doing so in the most horrible way possible – Acidic water containing milk and caffeine.

A talk about coffee reminds me that people consider Starbucks and Cafe Coffee Day quite expensive. Well, to be quite honest, they are expensive, but it’s perfectly fine to barge in at a Starbucks once in a while when you’re with your friends, Starbucks is a good place to hang if you want to pretend that you’ve got deep pockets.

I consider coffee shops to be a fun place to hang-out. Well, you may disagree with me, but I would like to believe that  coffee shops like the Starbucks and the CCD’s of the world are an incredibly  good place to go when you’re alone.

Coming back to the preparation part, preparing a hearty cup of coffee requires time. Time happens to be such a precious commodity during weekdays. It runs out quite quickly in the morning while I’m getting ready or rather trying to get ready in order to get to work.

I’ve devised a simple system of preparing coffee during weekdays. I take a little milk,  pour water into it and add sugar and coffee powder to it. All of these ingredients are mixed together without measuring. The mixture that is formed is called coffee. The brew that I prepare during the early hours of the morning happens to be inconsistent due to severe time constraints, but I’d like to believe that my largely inconsistent brew tastes quite okay.

I’m an amateur writer. To me, my mind seems overflowing with ideas.I don’t really know from where my ideas come, but I’d like to admit that one key ingredient that gives rise to ideas is caffeine. Whenever I have coffee, weird and god-forsaken ideas start emerging out of the ruins of my brain and that is why I manage to write blog posts.

A cup of coffee, to me, is a lot more than just a drink. It symbolises that something is happening. Having a cup of coffee is like an event, it’s a place to be, but not like a location, it’s somewhere within yourself. It gives you time, but not actual hours or minutes, but a chance to steal time and be yourself.