This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Vinayana Khurana. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

‘I Would Imagine How It Would Be To Look Into His Eyes, While Sitting In My Wheelchair’

More from Vinayana Khurana

By Vinayana Khurana

I was sitting in the wheelchair, watching my favorite romantic movie “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai”. The idea of love seemed so fascinating to me. “Will I ever be in love?”, I asked myself, the answer, which horrified me, was a big ‘no’.

Some years later, that same emotion was beating in my chest, like a drum. Love can start with just a wave, a handshake, and a big cute smile. The effect was greater than I thought, because, my heart was lost. The intensity of my love was much more than I have ever felt for anyone else, ever as I was experiencing everything that happens in a romantic film!

I shared my feelings with an elder in the family, and she became horrified. “Why do you have these emotions?”, “How can somebody be in love with you?” she asked me. As a teenager, I wasn’t able to answer her question. Moreover, after that, I did not tell anyone about it because I wondered if the listener could accept my ‘love story’ in a non-judgemental way. Yes, I was in love. I was sure, but I wasn’t sure if he was in love with me.

In all my favorite Bollywood romances, love always seems to happen in slow motion. The girl runs towards the boy (in slow motion) and he receives her with his open arms. Since childhood, such scenes seemed funny to me – watching two grown-ups running, just for a hug. Yet, this time, watching such scenes invoked a different kind of pleasure in my heart. From there, I really started thinking about, is this the right feeling for me? Will this love take me somewhere? These were the questions, that were moving around inside my head.

I don’t know why, people find it, so hard to believe, that I have been in love. Love is a feeling and everybody is bound to fall in love, then why not me? For me, my wheelchair is just a part of me. It does not define me. In college, my classmates would visualise me, more as a cute baby. So, I sneakily took help of this ‘love story’, to make them perceive me as just another teenage girl, because, that way, we could connect to each other on a different plane.

Sadly people don’t perceive people with disabilities, falling in love. But in my experience, they surely can. I have always loved that person, unconditionally. But one problem with unconditional love is, that you forget to love yourself. A major emotional trauma happens right then. The person you love seems always right to you, yet, he doesn’t respond to text and then you keep second-guessing if you did the right thing by putting yourself out there. Sometimes, my friends would call me crazy, I would laugh and say, “Yes, man, I know.” For instance, it was stupid of me, to start grinning, when that person arrives. Sometimes I wish that I could go back in time and tell myself to stop smiling!

I don’t blame my first crush for not loving me back because everyone is entitled to their own feelings. I would always imagine, though, how it would be, just hanging out together, looking into his eyes, while sitting in my wheelchair. It would be impossible to hold hands while walking, like all those romantic couples I have seen in various public spaces. Mine would be an unconventional romance.

Till date, I have never confessed my feelings to a crush for fear of rejection and broken friendships. Even today, I fear that if I do share my feelings they won’t be reciprocated. However, what boosts up my confidence is that I can feel love and I am not afraid of acknowledging my feelings. Every time, I used to wonder why my love wasn’t able to find its way back to me, I realised that there are so many people like me who had one-sided love. Yet, they have a smile on their face. I am hopeful about finding love in my life, someone who would overlook my disabilities and be able to see my boundless abilities.

_

Shared on Facebook by the author.
  1. Apoorva Thakur

You know, if someone rejects you for who are you, they are not worth anything. You are you not even Brad Pitt can change that, I hope you get your own Snape, who loves you like he loved lily.

1. Vinayana Khurana

Thank you so much for that example!~ Dear Harry Potter fan.
      I am so glad you feel that way. 🙂

2. Pankaj Kherwa

Write a response
    Hi Vinayana…i am pankaj. today while reading some stuff on youthkiawaz, i amazed to see your shared story about how you feel when people hv some reserved perception at you. well i hv no such feelings abt you yr..just like any other girl you too hv right to love..and yes without any restriction…so enjoy it and just screw what people say. you mentioned abt sufferering from some physical disorder. in that case i wd suggest you to read about Madam IRA SINGHAL(AIR-1 UPSC, currently serving as deputy collector Delhi) . she too hv some physical disorder but anyway made an inspiration to many.
    N why do you think that love could be only form of a relationship like hving boyfriends..hubby etc. it can be in any form like love to reading..cinema .social service. i can bet you might fall in love with those characters of boooks you get while reading and lets hope they will treat you the same.
    bye. wish if could give u any help throughout this msg. Many blessings.

3. Pankaj Kherwa

More from Vinayana Khurana

By Rajlakshmi Ghosh

By Suranya

By Love Matters India