#NewsInTweets: Wrestler Sakshi Malik Wins Bronze Medal, India’s First At Rio Olympics

Posted on August 18, 2016 in News

By YKA Staff:

What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:

1. Wrestler Sakshi Malik wins India’s first medal at Rio, clinches bronze in women’s freestyle 58 kg, beating Kyrgyzstan’s Aisuluu Tynybekova.

2. Delhi University will announce 3 more cut offs to fill up remaining vacant seats.

3. The CRPF has fired over 3000 pellet cartridges in Kashmir since July. Each cartridge contains about 450 pellets. Reports say that more than 500 youth have been hit in their eyes, many have gone blind.

4. Wrestler Vinesh Phogat lost the 48kg freestyle quarterfinal after sustaining a knee injury in the 1st period. In men’s badminton singles quarter-finals, Kidambi Srikanth was narrowly beaten by China’s Lin Dan 6-21, 21-11, 18-21.

5. Machhli, probably the world’s most photographed tigress died in Ranthambore national park. She was 19.

6. Chief of Army Staff Dalbir Singh alleged that Union minister VK Singh tried to prevent his appointment to the top Army post.

7. 13 people have died in Bihar reportedly due to consuming spurious alcohol (or hooch). Liquor was banned in the state in April.

8. India rejects Pakistan’s proposal to hold talks on Kashmir, wants cross-border terrorism to be focus.

Get the top news of the day directly in your inbox!