#NewsInTweets: P.V. Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai To Be Awarded Khel Ratna

Posted on August 23, 2016 in News

By YKA Staff:

What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:

1. Indian athletes P.V. Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Jitu Rai and Dipa Karmakar to be awarded with Khel Ratna, the highest sporting honour in India.

2. At least 2 people were killed and 21 injured after a paper dryer exploded in Malerkotla, Punjab.

3. An earthquake of magnitude 5.5 was recorded in northeast India early morning. No casualties have been reported.

4. Indian athlete Sudha Singh, who participated in 3000m steeplechase at Rio is being tested for the Zika virus after she experrienced fever, tiredness and dehydration.

5. Ulfa-I, abducted the son of a BJP leader in Assam and has reportedly demanded a ransom of  ₹1 crore. A video shows him surrounded by masked militants and appealing for an early release to the Chief Minister.

6. Irom Sharmila to appear in court on charges of attempted suicide. A Facebook page seeking support for her has been launched and has received massive response.

7.Three youths allegedly kidnapped and gang raped a 7-year-old girl in Delhi. She has been admitted to AIIMS with multiple injuries.

8. Heavy rains in Uttar Pradesh have triggered a flood-like situation in Varanasi.

9. Blame game continues over Jaisha, Sports Minister Vijay Goyal has denied any responsibility. The athlete collapsed after completing the marathon and claims that adequate provisions were not given.

10. A Banaras Hindu University student has alleged that he was abducted and gang-raped 10 days ago.

Get the top news of the day directly in your inbox!