#NewsInTweets: Pondicherry Uni. Student Magazine Banned For Being Too Critical Of Govt.

Posted on August 4, 2016 in News

By YKA Staff:

What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:

1. A magazine by students of Pondicherry Uni. was banned by authorities for being “critical” of the govt. less than a week after its launch. Leaders of BJP’s Pondicherry unit had organised a sit-in protest in front of the university gate, where they burnt copies of the magazine, “Widerstand”, which means ‘resistance’ in German.

2. Goods and Services Tax (GST) was passed by Rajya Sabha yesterday evening. It is being termed as the biggest tax reform since 1991. All 203 members voted in favour of the Bill.

3. Three bodies recovered in the rescue operation after a bridge collapsed on the Mumbai-Goa highway.

4. Heavy rains cause flood in Nashik and nearby villages, relief and rescue operations are underway.

5. “Govt. should cut off the hands of corrupt officials,” said Naresh Sawal, an independent MLA from Goa.

6. An Emirates flight from Trivandrum to Dubai crashed landed on the runway last evening. All passengers and crew members are safe.

7. An ATM booth guard in Srinagar was found dead with over 300 pellet wounds fired from close range. The deceased’s family and locals alleged that he was killed by the security forces.