#NewsInTweets: 1.3 Million Pellets Used In 32 Days To ‘Control Kashmir Street Protests’

Posted on August 19, 2016 in News

By YKA Staff:

What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:

1. 1.3 million pellets used in 32 days to control street protests in Kashmir: CRPF tells HC. This was in response to a PIL urging for a ban on pellet guns as they have caused eye injuries for over 400 people. As per a report in The Hindu, “the CRPF in its affidavit admitted that ‘it was difficult to follow the standard operating procedure (SOP) given the nature of the protests.'”

2. Usain Bolt said he “wanted to run faster” after winning the 200m race at the Olympics.

3. Indian wrestler Narsingh Yadav unable to participate in Olympics as he failed to get clearance from the Court of Arbitration for Sports, in connection with a doping case.

4. Anti-Corruption Bureau raids DCW office on charges of ‘favouritism’ and ‘irregularity’. DCW Chief Swati Maliwal says it is ‘intimidation’.

5. World’s oldest wild tigress Machhli passes away. She guarded 3 lakes in Ranthambore’s forest area and was the first tigress to battle a 12-foot crocodile to protect her cubs.

6. Twitter suspended 3,60,000 accounts for ‘promotion of terrorism’.

7. 15 die in Bihar’s Gopalganj district due to spurious liquor consumption.

Get the top news of the day directly in your inbox!