#NewsInTweets: President To Confer Top Rio Athletes With Khel Ratna Awards Today

Posted on August 29, 2016 in News

By YKA Staff:

What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:

1. President Pranab Mukherjee to award players on National Sports Day. This day is in honour of legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand and is given for most outstanding performance by a sportsperson over 4 years.

2. Tourism minister Mahesh Sharma advises foreign tourists against wearing skirts. He also added that they give out welcome kits to foreign tourists which advised them from wandering late at night.

3. 230 inmates shifted out of Naugacchia prison after floods in Bihar. Boats were hired by the prison staff to shift the inmates to Jabba Sahni Central prison facility.

4. NDMC residents now have to pay a ‘user fee’ for garbage removal. President of the Connaught Place Trader’s association, Atul Bhargava, regarded the move as ‘unfair’.

5. A nearly 50-year old conflict in Colombia comes to an end. The rebel movement FARC have agreed to end hostilities with the government and a national referendum will be held on October 2 to approve the deal.

6. Only 10% of HC judges are women. Out of nearly 630 judges working in 21 courts, only 52 are women and the Supreme Court has only 1 female judge out of 28.

7. Angela Merkel is against a ban on Muslim migrants. The German chancellor said she wanted to work out a fair system with which to distribute asylum seekers.

8. Curfew is being lifted in Kashmir after nearly 51 days. With the exception of some areas, such as Nowhatta and Pulwama, police announced that there would be no restrictions starting tomorrow.

_

Get the top news of the day directly in your inbox!