This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by IndiaSpend. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Report: 47 Million Indian Students Dropped Out Of School By 10 Standard

More from IndiaSpend

By Silvio Grocchetti & Charlie Moloney, IndiaSpend.com:

India has 47 million youth of secondary and higher secondary school-going age out of school, according to a report by the UNESCO Institute for Statistics and Global Education Monitoring, a United Nations institute based in Montreal, Canada.

The 47 million young men and women dropped out of school by Class 10, according to the 2016 report.

The enrolment in Class 10 is 77%, but enrolment in class 11 is only 52%, according to a report from the New Delhi-based Institute for Policy Research Studies (PRS).

Source: Institute for Policy Research Studies, 2016

Enrolment declined by about half between classes 11 and 12 and college, said the report, although university enrolment increased, in general, since 2008-09.

The number of boys enrolled in higher education has increased by 13% and girls by 21% since 2012-13, IndiaSpend reported in July 2016.

An overall increase in the gross enrolment ratio (GER is student enrolment as a proportion of the corresponding eligible age group in a given year) at almost every level of education in India confirms that the educational system has become more accessible. Upper primary and secondary schools’ GERs saw a rise of 13% and 17%, respectively, in 2013-14 compared to 2007-08.

Despite this increase, six million children aged 6-13 are estimated to be still out of the school system, according to this 2014 survey by the Ministry of Human Resource Development.

Most Children Out Of School In Uttar Pradesh And Bihar

Uttar Pradesh leads the ranking with 1.6 million out-of-school children, followed by Bihar and Rajasthan.

An 18% increase in the population of young people aged 15-24 between 2001 and 2011 has resulted in a comparable increase in the country’s workforce, IndiaSpend reported in June 2014.

As many as 18% of 15- to 24-year-olds in India are unemployed, 5% more than the international average, estimated by the global youth unemployment rate of 2013.

“The newly-launched skill development programme courses require some minimum eligibility to enrol for training. Out of 29 programmes that are part of the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (Prime Minister’s Skill Development Scheme), five require individuals who have passed Grade 12 and four require educational levels higher than Grade 12,” IndiaSpend reported in November 2015.

Author note: Grocchetti and Moloney are interns with IndiaSpend.

More from IndiaSpend

By Devina Singh

By Priyank Sharma

By Prerana Sharma