Seeking Help And How To Deal With Suicidal Thoughts

By Mansi S. Mehta:

Editor’s note: This is the second piece in a campaign on raising awareness around mental health by Youth Ki Awaaz, in collaboration with NalandaWay Foundation. The Foundation, founded by Sriram Ayer, works with children to address issues that concern them through art, film and music. Through Ayer’s book, “The Story Of A Suicide”, we’ll be talking about dealing with depression, loneliness, rejection, stress and various other issues that affect many of us today. Suicide is the leading cause of death among young people in India (aged 10-24), as per a Lancet report. And 50 million people in the country suffer from stress and depression, both major reasons for suicide. But we just don’t talk about mental illness in India, as our society stigmatises it to the extent of keeping silent about it. With #StoryOfASuicide, join us in breaking the silence around mental health issues and share your thoughts on it. Here’s the book trailer and an excerpt that’ll tell you more. To read the entire book, go here.

Suicidal thoughts can happen when feelings of hopelessness, isolation and despair become too heavy to bear. You might feel so overwhelmed with pain that suicide seems like the only way to release yourself from the burden you’ve been carrying. You should know that there is help available to deal with your feelings. Seeking adequate help will let you heal and experience joy and happiness again, no matter how impossible it seems right now.

Dos

1. Immediately call a suicide helpline.

2. Put off any suicide plans. Waiting before taking action will give your mind time to clear.

3. Seek professional help immediately. Suicidal thoughts can feel overwhelming, and there’s no reason to fight them alone.

4. Go to the hospital. If you have called for help and are still experiencing suicidal thoughts, you need to go to the emergency room.

5. Call a trusted friend or loved one. Your risk of suicide is increased if you’re alone with suicidal thoughts.

6. Wait for help. If you’ve called emergency services or a friend to come over, focus on keeping yourself safe while you’re on your own.

7. Take deep, calming breaths and repeat some positive statements to yourself.

8. Write a safety plan. A safety plan is a written plan for when you experience suicidal thoughts.

9. Make your home safer. If you’re experiencing suicidal thoughts or are worried that you will, take opportunities to harm yourself away.

10. Seek professional help who can help you deal with what’s causing your suicidal thoughts.

11. Build a strong support network to help you cope with your thoughts.

12. Work on loving yourself.

13. Work with a mental health professional can help you uncover some of the reasons behind your suicidal thoughts.

14. Believe in yourself.

Dont’s

1. Don’t use drugs and alcohol. It will cloud your thinking.

2. Don’t stay by yourself. Solitude does not help suicidal thoughts; in fact, it can worsen them to a great extent.

3. Don’t do things that make you feel sad, hopeless or stressed.

4. Don’t blame yourself if you experience suicidal thoughts. Instead, seek counselling to help preserve your sense of self.

5. Don’t bottle up feelings or keep them to yourself. Call someone you love and trust and share your thoughts with him or her.

Last Words

Always remember this, you’re loved. Your family loves you. Friends love you. The loss of you, already unbearable by a huge group of people, if you cause your own loss could lead to ruining others’ lives. No one may be able to recover. Someone may even start having suicidal thoughts because of inability to deal with your absence in life. You fill lots of people’s lives, and never, ever try to end this on your own. It may be a rocky road, but it will be easier if you clear your mind from suicide and instead focus on fulfilling every moment until it really, naturally ends.

Nobody deserves any kind of suicide.

This post, which offers simple advice on how to counter suicidal thoughts, was originally published here.

[su_divider top=”no” divider_color=”#090a08″ link_color=”#fff” size=”2″ margin=”10″]

soas_-_web_banner_v2

By Youth Ki Awaaz

By Youth Ki Awaaz

By Youth Ki Awaaz