This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by URMILA SATRAMDAS. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

In Photos: Symbiosis Bangalore’s All-Night Concert That Was A Treat For Music Lovers!

By Urmila Satramdas:

As India’s 70th Independence Day approached, the students of Symbiosis School of Media and Communication, Bengaluru, were gung-ho with the preparations for ‘Yamini’ 2016 – an all-night event in collaboration with SPIC MACAY on August 14, from 7 PM to August 15 at 7 AM.

Along with fascinating performances by stalwarts of Indian classical art, a delicious spread by Crowne Plaza, and ‘Symbi Bazaar’ – Flea Market ensured that everyone was happy on all fronts – from listening to charming tunes to munching on delicacies.

This musical journey was commenced by the inaugural performance of Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia, an Indian classical flutist and composer. His specialization in Hindustani classical music and film score is what makes him incomparable in the music industry.

The musical journey continued with Hindustani classical vocalist, Pt. Venkatesh Kumar’s devotional songs. The songs he sang were both scintillating and of noble lineage.

Towards the end of the last century, Hindustani music had run into ‘doldrums’, and that’s when at the dusk of his musical journey, Vidvaan Kottakal Chandrashekharan enlightened us with his authentically traditional masterpieces of Hindustani classical music.

The melodious tunes continued with instrumentalist, vocalist and musical composer, Vidvaan Ravikiran’s enthralling renditions. Through his performance, it was clearly evident that the secret of his extraordinary talent is hidden in his passion for music.

With the rising sun, ‘Yamini 2016’ had its last performance by Vidvaan TM Krishna, a Carnatic music vocalist. His performance amazed everyone, and out of the blue, a piece was interwoven so unexpectedly that the listeners were left ecstatic.

Here are a few photos that provide a glimpse of the magical night we got to be a part of.

Posters depicting the occurrence of an All-Night event, along with a Flea Market, had me excited like there was no tomorrow! The combination of soulful music along with indigenous handicrafts was something to look forward to; I was proud of my Institute, Symbiosis School of Media and Communication, Bengaluru, for taking the initiative for hosting and conducting such an event.
The event was inaugurated by none other than Padma Vibhushan Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia, Padma Shree Pt. Vijay Ghate and our esteemed Director, Prof. Vikram Sampath.
The starry night (quite literally) began with a scintillating performance by Padma Vibhushan Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia and Pt. Rajesh on the flute, along with Padma Shree Pt. Vijay Ghate on the tabla. This was followed by a wonderful performance by Pt. Venkatesh Kumar. I knew that this event was going to be a treat, and I wasn’t wrong!
I have never been more proud of my Symbi-mates, after seeing the act by ‘AURA’ and ‘PRATIBIMB’ – The Performing Arts clubs of SSMC-B. Their goosebumps-inducing performance was widely appreciated by the audience.
I had never seen a live Kathakalli performance, or a child prodigy performing in front of my eyes. After having witnessed the said, by Vidvaan N. Ravikiran and Vidwan Kottakkal Chandrasekharan, I can safely say that I am blessed to have witnessed their graceful steps and enthralling music.
Pt. T.M Krishna’s performance gave the ‘Dusk to Dawn’ concept a smooth transition, by delivering fascinating renditions and musical notes into the dew-time of the day, marking the end of the performances for the night.
The event ended with the flag-hoisting ceremony – the unfurling of the Indian Flag that soared high and swayed with the breeze, and will continue to do so. It was simply the perfect way to usher in the 70th Independence Day of our country, by marking the celebrations with melodious tunes, delicious food and warm company. Patriotism was at its peak, and we at SSMC-B couldn’t be more proud.

Take campus conversations to the next level. Become a YKA Campus Correspondent today! Sign up here.

You can also subscribe to the Campus Watch Newsletter, here.

_

Images have been shared by the author.

More from URMILA SATRAMDAS

By Author Anonymous

By BigChange

By @krantikari_yuva