By Gaurav Gupte:
There is a lot that is being said about the current US Presidential election. A lot of people believe that Hillary Clinton won it the day Donald Trump was nominated as the Republican challenger. Here are my reasons as to why Mr. Trump is on his way to the White House:
1. Republican voters are rallying around him like never before. The extent of Trump’s victory over the other Republican Primary rivals speaks volume about the support he has consolidated amongst the Republican voters. Any seasoned politician in the world will always underscore the importance of enthusing your voters – which ensures that they will surely turn up to vote on election day.
2. Donald Trump has his hand on the pulse of voters, which is in turn helping him improve his performance in polls. Hillary Clinton is facing a formidable opponent who has no previous experience in fighting elections as compared to her, who has been in politics for a long time and is now dubbed as an establishment candidate. The only reason for this could be that his policies & views are resonating with the voters at large.
3. He is being hounded by the media. Trump is being hounded by the media, a treatment not too different from the one that Senator Bernie Sanders faced. Voters started questioning the veracity of media outlets long ago and today it is at a stage where they don’t trust them. A lot of the news that people follow is based on the posts/ tweets of individual unaffiliated bloggers and contributors who visit press conferences & events.
4. Trump is not relying on PACs and corporate for campaign finance. This is a major reason for him to be dear to a lot of people. He is now asking voters to contribute to his campaign in order to raise money for the remainder of his campaign. Hillary Clinton is relying on super PACs which are fronts for unlimited corporate donations to her campaign.
5. Hillary Clinton’s troubles with the law are all well known. First people are not convinced as to how the FBI believes that what she did was wrong and careless but not illegal. Now questions are being raised about the donations that she received at the Clinton Foundation.
6. Hillary Clinton is often accused of bending over backwards for corporate interests and this has been something she has been unable to shake off. She has been accused of profiteering from speeches she gave at investment banks, which have government interests. Trump has never been seen to do this and many big corporate are contributing to the Clinton campaign just to stop Trump.
7. Everybody loves an underdog. Hillary has been the First Lady of Arkansas, First Lady of the United States, Senator from New York and also the Secretary of State. She is the candidate of the establishment and the person who a broad political spectrum supports. Believe it or not but Trump is actually the underdog here. Even senior functionaries who did not endorse him got booed of the stage.
8. Rigging of the Democratic primaries. Leaked e-mails revealed that a lot of decisions were taken to favour Hillary Clinton. This has angered a lot of Sanders supporters who felt cheated and are now considering voting for Trump or not voting at all.
9. Third party candidates like Jill Stein are predicted to mop up the angry Bernie Sanders votes. A lot of Sanders supporters who are actually Democrats may vote for Jill Stein, a Green Party candidate who is showing promise in the current polls. She had offered to step down from the election if Senator Sanders wanted to run as the Green Party candidate.
10. Hardcore Democrats are unsure about voting for Hillary. Everyone feels that with the number of scandals and controversies that she is constantly surrounded with, she is seen to be as a dishonest person who just cannot be trusted.