Left Unity Sweeps JNUSU’s Central Panel, ABVP Quashed Out

Posted on September 11, 2016 in Campus Politics

Making a clean sweep, the Left Unity alliance of All India Students Association and Students’ Federation of India has claimed all 4 seats of the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students’ Union’s central panel. SFI and the AISA are the student wings of Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), Communist Party of India-Marxist-Leninist (CPI-ML) respectively. The alliance, came into existence to exclude Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad from the central panel of the JNUSU and has successfully fulfilled its agenda.

Mohit Kumar Pandey (AISA) has been elected as the President, Amal PP (SFI) and Satarupa Chakraborty (SFI) have been elected as the Vice President and General Secretary respectively and Tabrez Hasan (AISA) as the Joint Secretary. There was a neck to neck fight for the President’s post between Left Unity’s Mohit Pandey and Birsa Ambedkar Phule Students’ Association’s Sonpimple Rahul Punaram, with a difference of 409 votes. Even so, BAPSA polled the maximum votes as a standalone party.

Reportedly, the Left Unity has won 14 of the 15 councillor seats at JNU’s School of Languages, School of International Studies and School of Social Sciences combined. The remaining one has gone to Democratic Students’ Federation (DSF), which also performed well for the post of Joint Secretary where AISA-SFI’s Tabrez Hasan secured 1670 votes, defeating DSF’s Pratim Ghosal, by 436 votes. The elections, which were held on September 9, reportedly witnessed a 60% turnout – the maximum in three years.

Image source: Vipin Kumar/Hindustan Times via Getty Images