#NewsInTweets: One Killed During Violent Protests In Bengaluru Over Cauvery Dispute

Posted on September 13, 2016 in News

By YKA Staff:

What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:

1. Violent protests erupted in Bengaluru over the Cauvery water dispute. Curfew was imposed on several parts of the city as rioters set fire to buses and 15,000 police officers were deployed. At least one person has been reported killed.

2. Nationwide ceasfire went into effect in Syria from Monday evening. This is the second attempt by  USA and Russia to stop the civil war which has been raging for five years.

3. Communal tensions erupted in Odisha over the immersion of the idols of Ganesha and another deity. Vehicles were burned and roads damaged while some people threw bricks at the idols.

4. The people of Vemulaghat have completed 100 days of protest against the Telangana government. These people are fiercely opposed to the land acquisition efforts being made by the government, which has now imposed section 144.

5. In Delhi, a motorist assaulted another driver  with an iron rod after a minor accident. The other driver in question is a dentist at Fortis Hospital (Gurgaon) and has been admitted to Fortis Hospital (Vasant Kunj) with head injuries.

6. Kolkata eatery Mocambo faces online flak for refusing entry to a driver for not dressing ‘neatly’. The owner of the car, Dilashi Hemnani took to Facebook in a post that soon became viral.

7. Deepa Malik became first Indian woman to win a medal at the Rio Paralympics. She also holds the Asian record in javelin throw. Under the Harayana Sports Schem, she will be given a cash award of under 4 crore.

_

Get the top news of the day directly in your inbox!

_

Image source: Anna Isaac | Twitter