By YKA Staff:
What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:
1. Eight reported dead after heavy rain in Guntur district, Andhra Pradesh; schools in Hyderabad shut for next two days. Army could be called in to help disaster management forces.
2. Police arrests four people in Nauda village, Madhya Pradesh for killing and eating a calf’s meat. After complaint was lodged against the accused, a mob of 250 people blocked traffic on the highway to ask for speedy arrest.
3. 8.4 Cr children in India don’t go to school at all, according to fresh data from Census 2011. Data also revealed that about 78 lakh Indian children are forced to work even as they attend school.
4. Indian government examining Baloch leader Brahamdagh Bugti’s request for asylum. India had last granted asylum to Tibetan Spiritual leader the Dalai Lama in 1959.
5. IIT Alumni Manu Prakash & Subhash Khot awarded prestigious MacArthur Fellowship. The fellowship is popularly known as ‘Genius Grants’ and are awarded to those who display exceptional creativity and have immense potential to contribute in the future.
6. Supreme Court ordered State Govts to conduct fresh NEET counselling for private & public colleges. SC order came after the Madhya Pradesh govt alleged that private medical colleges refused to admit students who had undergone centralised counselling.
7. India placed at 143 among 188 countries on a global study on important health indicators. Mortality rates, malaria, air pollution are few of the listed challenges.
Get the top news of the day directly in your inbox!
Image Source: ikjunoon|Twitter