#NewsInTweets: Railway Fares Hiked Up To 50% For All Rajdhani, Duronto & Shatabdi Trains

Posted on September 8, 2016 in News

By YKA Staff

What’s the latest around the world today? Curated for you from the interwebz, here’s a quick morning fix to keep you updated. In 140 characters at that! Presenting, #NewsInTweets:

1. Fares of premium rail fares hiked up by as much as 50 percent. These include trains like the Rajdhani, Shatabdi, and Duronto with the government introducing surge pricing, in some cases bring the 3AC fare almost to par with airfare.

2. 29 hour countdown for the launch of India’s new weather satellite INSAT-3DR is underway. It is an advanced weather satellite which will blast off from the rocket port at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.

3. Four policemen arrested for negligence and fudging of facts in the July 11 flogging of Dalits in Una. These include the former police inspector of Una police station.

4. Terrorists left with at least 6 weapons after overpowering security guards in DH Pora in J&K. The weapons include two Insas, one SLR, two AK-47s and one 303.

5. US Olympic medalist Ryan Lochte banned for 10 months. Lochte was found to have fabricated a story about being mugged by robbers pretending to be cops at Rio.

6. 13 people drowned when a coracle overturned in Tungabhadra river during  immersion of a Ganesh idol. The bodies of seven of the victims have been recovered and the other six have yet to be traced.

7. The Rio Paralympics opened at the famed Maracana stadium. It opened with sambas and a giant projection of Brazil’s Paralympic swimmer Daniel Dias.

_

Get the top news of the day directly in your inbox!

_

Image Sources –  Smeet Chowdhury, Nadir Hashmi/Flickr