This New Show Promises A Break From Regressive Saas Bahu Soaps On Indian TV

By Rohini Banerjee

It’s 2016 and Indian TV still, serves us the same melodramatic saas-bahu drivel. But it seems like Star Plus’ new show is here to break the monotony. The trailer for the show, titled ‘Prisoners of War: Bandi Yuddh Ke’, dropped this morning, and promises drama, intensity and some powerful storytelling.

Inspired from the popular Israeli show ‘Hatufim’ (on which the popular American show ‘Homeland’ is based), the show explores the lives of two soldiers taken as prisoners after the Kargil War and the events that take place after they are released and reunited with their families.

What’s interesting is that the trailer not just looks at the lives of the soldiers, but gives their wives importance too (and even shows some much-needed solidarity between them).

Directed by Nikhil Advani (of ‘Kal Ho Naa Ho’ and ‘D-Day’ fame), and starring some solid performers like Sandhya Mridul and Purab Kohli, the show definitely seems like the change of pace that mainstream Indian television needs.

While the show does look interesting from the trailer, the story revolves around the soldiers being suspected of treason (since they were captured by the Pakistani army), which, if it takes an anti-Pakistan turn, might lead to further controversy in the current political atmosphere. But the trailer doesn’t divulge too much detail about that aspect of the show, so we’ll have to wait for it to air, to see how it goes.

It’s revolutionary that a network like Star Plus is broadcasting this, which in the past has pioneered the very saas-bahu drivel that continues to become more and more regressive with time. So we’re definitely excited about ‘Prisoners of War’ and can’t wait to watch it!