Watch: An Incredible Village In MP Is Fighting Caste And Illiteracy Using Skateboards

Posted on September 16, 2016 in Society, Video

By 101 India:

India’s largest skateboarding park isn’t in a big city, it’s in a small village in Madhya Pradesh.

A sport which has long been identified with urban neighbourhoods across the world, is being used in a village in central India as a trigger for social change. Ulrike Reinhard – a German national – established a skate park in Janwar, Madhya Pradesh in February 2015, with the help of a few Indian and international skateboarding organisations. The region to which the village belongs is notorious for being one of the most socially and economically backward areas of the country. Untouchability, gender inequality, illiteracy, and alcoholism are rampant here. Through the voices of Ulrike and the children of the village, the film documents how the skate park is gradually changing the social fabric of the village and addressing some of its most deep-rooted issues.

Image shared by 101 India on Facebook