In 5 Minutes, This Fiery Young Poet Gives The Sex Talk We Never Got

Posted on October 8, 2016 in Sexism And Patriarchy, Video

By Saswati Chatterjee:

Breaking stereotypes is a long and time-consuming process (what with centuries of patriarchy and society) but Delhi Poetry Slam’s Sonel has got you covered. From talking about sex to gender rights to gender non-conformity, Sonel is on a roll of breaking all stereotypes. Because no matter how complicated it sounds, it actually isn’t. And this is a poem that shows us that.

Take a look at some of the best lines:

“Sex is not an inappropriate word, so talking about it in a poem is not inappropriate.”

sex_ed1

“You can’t teach these little people how to be perfect men or women; teach them how to be better people.”

"<em

“The shape and size of your sexual organ doesn’t make you any lesser or more of a man.”

bodybuilding-masculinity macho man

“Tell your young sons they do not have to be men just because their bodies say so.”

LOS ANGELES, CA - SEPTEMBER 18: Actress Laverne Cox speaks onstage during the 68th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards at Microsoft Theater on September 18, 2016 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
Photo of Laverne Cox, by Kevin Winter/Getty Images

“A pussy is not a faint-hearted coward and definitely not a term for the female genitalia, a pussy is a cat. And that cats are royal ferocious creatures.”

cat-646940_1280

“Don’t call it ‘making love’; tell them it is not necessarily ‘love’.”

couple-in-bed-feet-sex

Watch Sonel slammin’ stereotypes here: