This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Poonam Yadav. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why Do Women Have To Be ‘Perfect’ All The Time?

More from Poonam Yadav

By Poonam Yadav:

“She’s a perfect girl.”

“She’s a perfect daughter.”

“Lucky guy, you have got a perfect wife.”

“You have a perfect mother.”

The concept of ‘perfect’ is complex for me to understand.  I mean it represents something ideal and flawless, which is not only hard to achieve but is also impossible to attain and puts lot of pressure. And in this particular article, I would like to explore the notion of perfectionism in relation to women and its consequences.

Since the day a girl is born, she is expected to behave in a certain manner. She’s brought up in a particular way, there are certain expectations and she’s expected to live up to those expectations. Not just that, they are expected to exceed those expectations.

Perhaps, there’s nothing wrong in that. Every parent expects the best out of their kids. Be it their education, their career, be it anything, they are expected to excel. More parents invest equally in their daughter’s’s education and career (most of them, at least in metropolitan cities) and expect them to climb the success ladder just like their sons. But wait where girls are concerned there are conditions applied.

Many are also expected to help their mothers in the kitchen – the guys can be exempted from this. They should know at least how to make tea and parathas. Otherwise, no one will marry her. Also, they should be able to complete their studies and be able to get a job by the age of 25 because that’s the ‘deadline’ and after that they have to be ‘married off’.

Their parents are always there to support them, but then they also have to answer to their relatives, neighbors, etc. There is the society to look after, as we don’t live in isolation. But this unconditional support that we boast of comes with few conditions (at least for girls). This operates at all levels, though in a subtle manner.

There’s nothing wrong in expecting that your child should be able to do everything but, but then it should be expected regardless of the gender. It’s all about self-sufficiency: if our girls can be ‘perfect’ in almost everything, be it making parathas to running offices like a pro, let our sons be like that too. Why are we stopping them from achieving that ‘perfection’? Why are boys left to watch matches and hangout with their friends, and girls are expected to clean the house and wash the dishes?

As soon as one gets married, there is a heap of expectations. Her parents have already set the stage by showering praises and promising the new family that they have got the ‘perfect daughter-in-law’. The new family has got an educated, working daughter-in-law, who’s a perfect cook, cleaner, decorator, planner and what not. She’s a working woman, capable of supporting herself financially and is an able home maker.

But many don’t question the role of the husband. Both are equally educated, are earning well, but only one is expected to run both the office and home and the other one is just engrossed in his work and there’s no one to question him. It’s up to him whether he wants to help or not. It’s optional, can she also do the same?

Many of us talk about gender equality, but the differential treatment that is meted out to girls at home is the breeding ground for a lot of inequality which is prevalent, and for most people it’s not even inequality. I mean, they don’t give it a thought. It’s no big deal for them.

All these things seem very ‘normal’ and we all are very used to it. But why are we not perturbed by all of this? We really need to give it a thought. All this is actually a part of socialisation practices prevalent in India which has resulted in creating gender stereotypes.

I have seen male members in my families helping women in the kitchen and other household activities. I admire my husband for helping me in cleaning the house, washing clothes, grocery shopping etc. I think it’s high time that we get rid of all the rigid stereotypes and stop raising our children in a ‘gendered’ environment where there’s discrimination between a girl and a boy. If a girl can pack her school bag, a boy can also do the same, the mother need not do that for him. Let him be an independent individual.

Parents have to sow these seeds from the beginning, so as to nurture the concept of gender equality from its very roots and we can steer away from the stereotypes which have been plaguing us from centuries.

1. Shubham Kamal

very good.
    im speechless

1. Poonam Yadav

thank you

2. James Bond

You don’t face the stress of not earning enough, or have to go through the torture of being jobless. At the time of marriage, you don’t get asked about your bank account, what car you drive, your house, salary, what vacation you can afford, etc. In case of a divorce, you don’t have to pay alimony, child support, or part with half of your property. In short, you don’t get ripped of your life savings.

Men are so privileged, that is why 99.9% war deaths are of men, 97% workplace deaths are of men, men suffer from 80% of all violent crimes, 75% homeless are men, majority of jobless are men, and men commit suicide twice the rate of women.

List of female privileges. Just the tip of the iceberg.

1. Seats are reserved for women on buses.
    2. Women are rescued first from wrecked ships.
    3. The media only focuses on women’s issues for ratings.
    4. World’s most dangerous jobs are worked by men, safest by women.
    5. News channels announce deaths of ‘women’ and children.
    6. Juries discriminate against men in domestic violence disputes.
    7. Women have special quotas in the political scenario and corporate world.
    8. Women receive lighter sentences for the same crimes committed by men.
    9. Child custody is given to women is divorce courts, in the majority of cases.
    10. Men have to earn for women, but women are not under any obligation to earn for men.
    11. Domestic violence and dowry are seen as women’s issues, while men are the prime victims.
    12. Men are forced to pay alimony to women. Women don’t give alimony to men.
    13. Men are used as ATMs. Women always marry men who are richer, earn more, ‘well-settled’.
    14. Men die on jobs daily. 97% of work related deaths are of men
    15. Draconian laws where women land men in jail through fake cases of rape, dowry, domestic violence
    16. Men must get down on their knees and propose.
    17. Separate compartment and reserved seats for women in metros.
    18. Women are released first in hostage situations.
    19. Most teachers hired in schools are women.
    20. Men have to pay child support, not women.
    21. Women rescued first from burning buildings.
    22. Men are expected to buy flowers, chocolates, rings, gifts on Valentine’s day.
    23. Lifeboats are reserved for women.
    24. All the awareness and funding for breast cancer. Little for prostate cancer.
    25. Men suffer from mandatory conscription.

1. Poonam Yadav

Thanku for your input. I really appreciate that but I think You got me wrong, my article is basically about fighting “gender stereotypes” and not raising our children in a gendered environment. As far as your facts regarding the job stress and career ambitions are concerned females are equally ambitious and it’s a shame that we still don’t pay attention to all those things. I think you have just focused on the title and have not read the full article, I am just focusing on a very small issue and I am saying that let’s focus on betterment of both our children and get rid of age-old stereotypes.

More from Poonam Yadav

By Barsha Sethia

By Asra Naaz

By Simran Pavecha