This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Saswati Chatterjee. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

10 Photos That Show How Mumbai Stood Strong After The 26/11 Attacks

More from Saswati Chatterjee

By Saswati Chatterjee

In 2008, Mumbai was witness to one of the most horrific terror attacks in recent history when terrorists (later proved to be members of the Lashkar-e-Taiba) carried out a series of 12 coordinated attacks in Mumbai.  The attacks, which were planned in different points in Mumbai, killed 164 people and wounded more than 300, sending shock waves throughout India and the world. The memories of this still remain fresh in the mind of many people, including the by now the iconic images of the Taj Hotel on fire, the shattered windows of Nariman House and The Oberoi and the scenes of chaos and terror at Chattrapati Shivaji Terminus.

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA - NOVEMBER 29: (ISRAEL OUT) Birds fly over a fire as it burns at Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel following an armed siege on November 29, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Indian officials have declared the siege at the Taj hotel over as the remaining militants were killed when commandos stormed the building. The city of Mumbai was rocked by multiple coordinated terrorist attacks that targeted locations popular with foreigners, late on November 26, killing at least 195 people. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA – NOVEMBER 29: (ISRAEL OUT) Birds fly over a fire as it burns at Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel following an armed siege on November 29, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Indian officials have declared the siege at the Taj hotel over as the remaining militants were killed when commandos stormed the building. The city of Mumbai was rocked by multiple coordinated terrorist attacks that targeted locations popular with foreigners, late on November 26, killing at least 195 people. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA - DECEMBER 02: (ISRAEL OUT) A man is reflected in a window with bullet holes at the Leopold Cafe after it reopened on December, 02, 2008 in Mumbai, India. The Cafe was one of several locations targeted by multiple coordinated terrorist attacks on November 26. The attacks ended on November 29, with at least 173 people killed in the attacks. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA – DECEMBER 02: (ISRAEL OUT) A man is reflected in a window with bullet holes at the Leopold Cafe after it reopened on December, 02, 2008 in Mumbai, India. The Cafe was one of several locations targeted by multiple coordinated terrorist attacks on November 26. The attacks ended on November 29, with at least 173 people killed in the attacks. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

8 years on, we take a moment to remember how an entire city showed a fierce spirit to survive and refused to be defeated by terror. Thousands gathered together in strength and solidarity, following the attacks. Here are some moments of when Mumbai stood united in the face of terror and grief.

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA - NOVEMBER 30: (ISRAEL OUT) Mumbai Residents walk with candles in the street near The Oberoi Hotel during a demonstration against the recent terror attacks in the city on November 30, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Indian Home Minister Shivraj Patil today submitted his resignation claiming 'moral responsibility' following the Mumbai terror attacks. Following the multiple coordinated terrorist attacks that began on November 26 and targeted a railway station, two hotels, a hospital and cafe as well as the Jewish centre, around 174 people have died, including at least 22 foreigners, and around 295 people injured. Two NSG commandos lost their lives and eight were injured during the counter-terrorist operations. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA – NOVEMBER 30: (ISRAEL OUT) Mumbai Residents walk with candles in the street near The Oberoi Hotel during a demonstration against the recent terror attacks in the city on November 30, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Indian Home Minister Shivraj Patil today submitted his resignation claiming ‘moral responsibility’ following the Mumbai terror attacks. Following the multiple coordinated terrorist attacks that began on November 26 and targeted a railway station, two hotels, a hospital and cafe as well as the Jewish centre, around 174 people have died, including at least 22 foreigners, and around 295 people injured. Two NSG commandos lost their lives and eight were injured during the counter-terrorist operations. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA - NOVEMBER 30: (ISRAEL OUT) Mumbai Residents attend a candlelit vigil in the street near The Oberoi Hotel following a demonstration against the recent terror attacks in the city on November 30, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Indian Home Minister Shivraj Patil today submitted his resignation claiming "moral responsibility" following the Mumbai terror attacks. The city of Mumbai was rocked by multiple coordinated terrorist attacks that targeted locations popular with foreigners, late on November 26, killing nearly 200 people. (Photo by Uriel SinaiGetty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA – NOVEMBER 30: (ISRAEL OUT) Mumbai Residents attend a candlelit vigil in the street near The Oberoi Hotel following a demonstration against the recent terror attacks in the city on November 30, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Indian Home Minister Shivraj Patil today submitted his resignation claiming “moral responsibility” following the Mumbai terror attacks. The city of Mumbai was rocked by multiple coordinated terrorist attacks that targeted locations popular with foreigners, late on November 26, killing nearly 200 people. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA - NOVEMBER 30: Mumbai Residents hold a candlelit vigil in the street near The Oberoi Hotel at the end of a demonstration against the recent terror attacks in the city on November 30, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Indian Home Minister Shivraj Patil today submitted his resignation claiming "moral responsibility" following the Mumbai terror attacks. The city of Mumbai was rocked by multiple coordinated terrorist attacks that targeted locations popular with foreigners, late on November 26, killing nearly 200 people. (Photo by Julian Herbert/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA – NOVEMBER 30: Mumbai Residents hold a candlelit vigil in the street near The Oberoi Hotel at the end of a demonstration against the recent terror attacks in the city on November 30, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Indian Home Minister Shivraj Patil today submitted his resignation claiming “moral responsibility” following the Mumbai terror attacks. The city of Mumbai was rocked by multiple coordinated terrorist attacks that targeted locations popular with foreigners, late on November 26, killing nearly 200 people. (Photo by Julian Herbert/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA - DECEMBER 03: (ISRAEL OUT) Thousands of Mumbaikars take part in a mass demonstration march following last weeks series of terrorist attacks on the city, near the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel, on December, 03, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Two bombs were discovered and defused earlier today by Mumbai police at a train station, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, which was one of the locations attacked by the terrorists. The attacks left almost 200 hundred dead and injured over 300 people. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA – DECEMBER 03: (ISRAEL OUT) Thousands of Mumbaikars take part in a mass demonstration march following last weeks series of terrorist attacks on the city, near the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel, on December, 03, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Two bombs were discovered and defused earlier today by Mumbai police at a train station, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, which was one of the locations attacked by the terrorists. The attacks left almost 200 hundred dead and injured over 300 people. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA - DECEMBER 03: (ISRAEL OUT) An Indian man holds a sign as he stands on top of a car as thousands of Mumbaikars take part in a mass demonstration march following last weeks series of terrorist attacks on the city, near the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel, on December, 03, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Two bombs were discovered and defused earlier today by Mumbai police at a train station, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, which was one of the locations attacked by the terrorists. The attacks left almost 200 hundred dead and injured over 300 people. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA – DECEMBER 03: (ISRAEL OUT) An Indian man holds a sign as he stands on top of a car as thousands of Mumbaikars take part in a mass demonstration march following last weeks series of terrorist attacks on the city, near the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel, on December, 03, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Two bombs were discovered and defused earlier today by Mumbai police at a train station, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, which was one of the locations attacked by the terrorists. The attacks left almost 200 hundred dead and injured over 300 people. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA - DECEMBER 03: (ISRAEL OUT) Mumbaikars light candles as they take part in a mass demonstration march following last weeks series of terrorist attacks on the city, near the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel, on December, 03, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Two bombs were discovered and defused earlier today by Mumbai police at a train station, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, that was one of the locations attacked by the terrorists. The attacks left almost 200 hundred dead and injured over 300 people. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA – DECEMBER 03: (ISRAEL OUT) Mumbaikars light candles as they take part in a mass demonstration march following last weeks series of terrorist attacks on the city, near the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel, on December, 03, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Two bombs were discovered and defused earlier today by Mumbai police at a train station, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, that was one of the locations attacked by the terrorists. The attacks left almost 200 hundred dead and injured over 300 people. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA - DECEMBER 03: (ISRAEL OUT) An Indian man's silhouette is cast on a wall covered with signatures written in support of the victims of the recent terrorist attacks, as thousands of Mumbaikars take part in a mass demonstration march, near the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel, on December, 03, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Two bombs were discovered and defused earlier today by Mumbai police at a train station, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, which was one of the locations attacked by the terrorists. The attacks left almost 200 hundred dead and injured over 300 people. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA – DECEMBER 03: (ISRAEL OUT) An Indian man’s silhouette is cast on a wall covered with signatures written in support of the victims of the recent terrorist attacks, as thousands of Mumbaikars take part in a mass demonstration march, near the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel, on December, 03, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Two bombs were discovered and defused earlier today by Mumbai police at a train station, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, which was one of the locations attacked by the terrorists. The attacks left almost 200 hundred dead and injured over 300 people. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA - DECEMBER 03: (ISRAEL OUT) Thousands of Mumbaikars take part in a mass demonstration march following last weeks series of terrorist attacks on the city, near the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel, on December, 03, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Two bombs were discovered and defused earlier today by Mumbai police at a train station, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, that was one of the locations attacked by the terrorists. The attacks left almost 200 hundred dead and injured over 300 people. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA – DECEMBER 03: (ISRAEL OUT) Thousands of Mumbaikars take part in a mass demonstration march following last weeks series of terrorist attacks on the city, near the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel, on December, 03, 2008 in Mumbai, India. Two bombs were discovered and defused earlier today by Mumbai police at a train station, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, that was one of the locations attacked by the terrorists. The attacks left almost 200 hundred dead and injured over 300 people. (Photo by Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

A reminder of all that we’ve lost, but also a tribute to our resilience.

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

More from Saswati Chatterjee

By Accountability Initiative

By Aaditya Kanchan

By Yuvraj Kumar