Why I Think Demonetisation Is A Bane For This Nation

Posted by poulomi ganguly
December 2, 2016

On November 8, our Prime Minister announced (much to the bewilderment of the citizens) the demonetisation of Rs. 1000 and Rs. 500 notes in order to wipe out the existence of black money and put an end to corruption. As he stated, new Rs.2000 and Rs.500 notes will be introduced shortly and people who have the old notes can exchange those for lower denominations or deposit them in their bank accounts.

But how many of the lot do actually know about demonetisation? A nation which is still known and portrayed in the international cinema as the land of beggars and dharavi, is suddenly thrown at the threshold by a political diktat. Though our country has developed a lot over the years, poverty prevails. Illiteracy is a common term. One cannot suddenly decide to eradicate corruption when eradicating illiteracy and poverty is the foremost need of this nation.

And wasn’t this country a democratic country? “Of the people, by the people, for the people.” Where did we, ‘the people’ disappear when our PM made the time-changing announcement? And what about our domestic workers drivers and other lower working class people? Do they know what is demonetisation or a ‘surgical strike’ or the extent of the effect it will have on them? They aren’t even well-informed.

And what about us young adults or twenty-somethings? Half of the folks from our age group haven’t even bagged a job yet. Many of us collect our pocket money by giving private tuition to our juniors or some go for part-time jobs. Though we are literate enough to understand the meaning of demonetisation, we are facing few problems too. We belong to a certain age group where people aren’t burdened by household responsibilities or work pressure. We are studying and finding ways to entertain ourselves with the little amount of pocket money that we save. Nowadays, it’s either the hip and happening shopping mall in the town or a nice restaurant, for us young people to have fun. But when we are having to make payments or when we want to buy something we have been saving up for – demonetisation pops in the scene. For instance, the other day I dropped in with my friend to check out the new clothing line in a new shopping mall. And as usual, I liked some dresses and wanted to pick them up. But I had the ‘old’ Rs. 500 notes, and they were not allowing to transact with an ATM card. Therefore, I had to return home with a bad mood that day.

But who cares about the problems the common man is facing? Who cares if the rickshaw driver doesn’t know of this sudden decision of the PM and keeps on accepting Rs. 500 notes from their customers? Who cares if the young woman could not purchase her favourite dress? Who cares if the family didn’t have the required currency notes to shop for their daughter’s wedding?

No one cares. Let’s be patriotic. Let’s forget our woes, sacrifice our needs and meals and join hands with our government to eradicate corruption. On an ending note, talking about corruption brings me to share this information that change for Rs. 2000 and Rs. 500 are being sold for Rs. 100 or Rs. 200. Common and helpless citizens are being exploited and corruption is showing up it’s venomous head in times when the nation is trying to stop corruption.