This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Talha Mannan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

12 Rail Tragedies In India That Took Place In 2016

More from Talha Mannan

Fifteen coaches of Ajmer-Sealdah express derailed between Rura and Metha, 70 kilometres from Kanpur on Wednesday. Over 40 people were injured and at least two people died. Before some days ago at least 150 deaths and over 150 injuries happened in Pukhrayan train derailment.

Year 2016 is about to leave all of us but it is a bitter truth that the passing year has a long list of train accidents in which hundred of people lost their lives. Here is a glance at some major rail accidents that happened 2016.

1. On February 5, 14 persons sustained injuries when almost nine coaches of the Bangalore-Kanyakumari Island express derailed nearly 90 kilometres from Vellore. The passengers were rescued and 14 of them were found injured.

2. Another accident happened near Hapur (Uttar Pradesh) on May 1, when eight coaches of Old Delhi-Faizabad Express derailed. Railway officials told 12 passengers were injured while police informed the number of injured were 40 to 50.

3. On May 6, Trivandrum super fast mail hit a suburban train on its side near at Chennai. At least six people were reportedly injured.

4. Kanyakumari-Dibrugarh Vivek Express got derailed near Nagercoil on May 19. No causalities were reported.

5. It was really a very painful rail accident on July 26, when a school van clashed with a high-speed train in U.P. in which eight children lost their lives.

6. Thirteen coaches of Trivandrum-Mangalore Central Express derailed in Kerala on August 28. No causalities were reported.

7. Nine boogies of a laden goods train derailed near Karungappally station on 20th of September. No causalities were reported but it disrupted the rail traffic for many hours and damaged the electric lines.

8. On September 29, two GRP employees were killed and at least 17 passengers injured in a collision between Bhubhaneshwer-Bhadrak passenger train and a goods train near at Cuttack. Authorities informed that both the trains were on similar route.

9. Jhelum express which connects Pune to Jammu Tawi met with an accident on October 4. Ten coaches along with a pantry car, derailed in this mishap. At least four people were injured.

10. It was one of the most terrible rail accidents of past few years when 14 coaches of the Indore Rajendra Nagar express derailed at Pukhrayan near the Kanpur central on November 20. At least 120 people lost their lives and more over 270 people injured in this mishap.

11. Two coaches along with the engine of the Rajendra Nagar Guwahati express derailed near Assam – West Bengal border on December 6. Two people died and at least 30 injured.

These were twelve major train accidents of the passing year. Economic Times says that the passing year was worse than 2015 in train accidents and India led in the train accidents this year in world. We cannot blame the Railway Ministry totally for all these accidents because sometimes, accidents happen. But we are going to enter in the new year with the hope that Railway Ministry will try to improve its railway lines.

More from Talha Mannan

By Jay Velury

By Ronak Aazad