Right Wing Goons Vandalise Venue, Injure Artist Over ‘Obscenity’ At Jaipur Art Summit

Posted by Shikha Sharma in News, Society
December 9, 2016

Protesting against a supposedly ‘obscene’ painting showcased in the gallery, an angry mob attacked the venue of the ongoing Jaipur Art Summit on December 8. The mob also injured the painting’s artist Radha Binod Sharma and took away the painting from the exhibition, returning it later.

Police have already arrested Pandit Vijay Shankar Pandey, the state general secretary of the Rashtriya Hindu Ekta Manch, on the basis of the video footage obtained from the gallery. Lal Shakti leader Hemlata Sharma, also believed to have vandalized the painting, is absconding.

“We wanted artists to remove the controversial painting from there [the gallery], but they refused to do so…We had a heated argument with the artists present there for depicting women in an indecent way, and finally, we deposited the painting at the nearby Lal Kothi police station,” Sharma had told IANS.

The Jaipur Art summit began on December 7 and will continue till December 11. Around 500 artists are taking part in the summit.

Featured image credit: Youtube and Facebook