This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Mridula Manglam. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

A Female Student Speaks Out Against Rampant Sexism At BHU

By Mridula Manglam:

Update, 4th March 2017: Last week, four girls from Banaras Hindu University spoke up against sexist rules in the University on a prime time show on India Today, a national television channel. Later on, Zee News, another TV channel, went ahead to say that they are defaming the institution. One of the girls who had talked about the sexist rules, told Campus Watch “We have a proof of everything we said. While some students are very supportive, a majority of our peers and teachers are against us. We are facing so much backlash, just for asking for our rights! One of us even got a rape threat.”

The Vice Chancellor has also said that there will be action against the girls who tried to “defame” BHU. This raises an important question- Is it okay to suppress voices of students when they stand for their rights?

Original post

India is a democratic country and has the world’s longest Constitution. The Constitution provide its citizens some basic fundamental rights such as the right to equality and the freedom of speech. These rights are considered above all other laws of the land. But after coming to one of the most prestigious universities of the country, i.e., Banaras Hindu University, I, strongly feel that the rules and regulations of the University are above the basic rights of the students. It becomes even more difficult for women as they suffer discrimination in every aspect.

For a woman, these rights seem just idealistic. Sometimes it feels like we are living in some part of the country where there exists no equality, no freedom of speech and no democracy. Being a student of social sciences, I have to study in the Mahila Maha Vidhyalaya (MMV).

I don’t have problems in MMV. I have problems with the MMV. With the whole concept of MMV being a different institute for women inside the campus. It directly reflects the discrimination meted out to women. The women are deprived of many facilities which are available in the Social Science department for men, which exists within the same campus. The women have lesser number of subjects to choose from. In the subjects which are available for them, there are not enough professors to teach the subjects. In most of the classes, research scholars teach.

Surely, every girl comes here with some dreams and aspirations but the administration here cannot provide basic security to the women inside the campus. This is the least a woman can expect from the administration of BHU. The women are advised to not move out of the hostel if they are concerned about their security. They cannot feel safe inside their own campus.

Yet, this advice of the administration takes a backseat when the time comes to vacate the hostels during the summer vacations. During that time, the administration forgets its advice of not moving out of the hostel. The students are forced to vacate the hostel with their whole luggage. No common room is provided to them to keep their beds. At that time, the women who are from distant places have to roam around the city and visit unknown localities. They have to visit lodges and find rooms for rent to keep all their belongings.

According to the Vice-Chancellor of BHU, it is “immoral” for women to study at night. Can a woman student expect anything worse than this? Being a woman student, I want to ask a question. How do you define morality and immorality? How do you differentiate? The men’s hostels provide non-vegetarian food to the men but there is no such option for women. How can you say that a girl eating non-vegetarian is against Malaviya’s principles?

Is this the right to equality the Constitution provides us with?

Moreover, the women are not even allowed to talk on the phone after 10 pm in the hostel. If they are caught, a finger is directly pointed on their character and their phone is snatched away from them. After reading this piece of article, a genuine question should arise on everyone’s mind. Why don’t the women challenge such policies of the administration and fight for their rights?

So, let me share one very nasty step of our administration. At the time of the hostel allotment of women, an affidavit is taken from the women as well as their parents which mentions that if the woman is involved in any kind of demonstration or strike, her hostel seat would be immediately cancelled. Is this the freedom of speech our Constitution provides us with? Is this a democracy that we are living in?

_

Featured image source: The India Today Group/ Getty Images, Adam Jones/ Flickr
  1. Anuradha Mishra

Even though I have never faced any such low standardised treatment being a woman but as one I surely do know and can sympathize as well as empathise with all those women there who are subjected to such atrocities..I don’t know why they can’t seem to understand something as simple as freedom and equity..what do people want from women?..if they expect us to be so called “disciplined” being because we are women they need to reframe the whole concept of discipline and living rules..why not just throw them in some prison and keep them there rather than providing these broken and delusional standards of freedom the grant us in general..BHU being such a prestigious university of India subjects it’s female students like this is unacceptable and downright derogatory for them..if they can’t ensure women safety and equal rights for them they are not even worthy of being anywhere near called prestigious university of India..I feel sad reading all this..

2. Prof P C Narasimha Reddy Ph D

We had visited BHU a couple of times but we had no occasion to know about MMV. As professor and Dean of a University in South we can say the situation is same probably through out the country except the dietary restrictions and some special courses like Home Science etc. Others are compulsions of the University and even the parents. There need not be any separate schools colleges or still worse the universities and institutions of excellence. Women rural and Dalit students and research scholars are discriminated and this will end only when student community (of both sexes) and academia in general oppose and build a movement to rectify this anomaly at the national level. We congratulate Ms Mridula Mangalam and strongly support the cause. Best wishes !
    . – Prof P C Narasimha Reddy

3. Vishal Verma

You have to stay in Hostel for two years may be. Then go out earn money. Boys are also suffering in this country. You have ready earned respect of society by getting admission in this university. Calling Mahamana by his last name is not a good thing.

1. Sandy

why don’t you try to these in your life for 2 years, and then talk? maybe the you’ll understand what a fucking moron your parents have created.

2. Sayan

You sir, your village wants you back. Your wife and daughters weep futile tears everyday to find their Master isn’t at home to dispense their pre-breakfast and post-dinner beatings.

4. Gulshan Sharma

Either come together for ur’s problems and fight against the system or leave writing these articles…coz
    …kisi ko koi fark nahi padta what is going on with u.
    How many girls will be rusticated,and if u r afraid of rustication, then for God sake never say that u r being ill treated by BHU Administration…
    So Come together…the only way u have ,bcoz I think they’re not going to fire everyone…

5. Akanksha rai

A real peice of shit.
    The only point which is a matter of concern is the affidavit taken regarding strike others are just a hypocrisy over things .
    Anyone can have permission to go out after 8 pm with a valid reason
    Everyone talks on phone as late as 4 am
    Everyone can roam around the campus without any kind of restrictions
    If you are talking about equity come up with real issues and not to forget we have full freedom here .

6. SHABEER AHMAD

wild freedom is wrong both for boys and girls so behave with them equally on humanitarian grounds ….

More from Mridula Manglam

By Author Anonymous

By Migita Dcruz

By AAA BBB