This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Chethan M. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Inspiring Story Of A Young Man Trying To Make Sure Nobody Dies Of Scarcity Of Blood

3 million units. Yes, that is the situation of blood shortage in our country, according to a 2012 World Health Organization (WHO) report. With a population of 1.2 billion, it is a shame that we are falling short of the required 12 million blood units annually, being able to collect only 9 million units. Lack of awareness and incorrect information or myths around blood donation in India are cited as the main reasons behind this shortfall.

300 successful blood pints collected and handled more than 30 donor arrangements in Bangalore, it is this shortfall that I am trying to bridge with my organisation called “Khoon”. True to its name, it works towards providing blood donors when blood banks and all other sources are exhausted. The organisations’ vision is very simple: “To ensure that nobody dies for the want of something that is abundant in everyone’s body.”

It works this way – People who are willing to become voluntary blood donors register with “Khoon”; whenever there is a request for a particular blood group, they are contacted and if available, they donate.

With over 3 million units of blood shortage in India every year, either people are dying for the want of blood or are paying an exorbitant price for a single unit. This can range from 5000- 25000 INR, depending on the availability or the blood type.

With around 40-50 crore youth population, only if 1-2% additional youth start donating, this shortage could be eradicated. It is precisely for this reason that we are trying to get more and more youngsters to register themselves as a voluntary blood donor.

Already in touch with various colleges in the city, there are four ways in which you can help. First and foremost, you can register yourself as a voluntary donor by sending your details (which include your name, blood group, address, contact number, alternative contact number (if any) and your email id. You can also WhatsApp the same to ‎+1 (267) 725-6685‎ or at http://www.khoon.netne.net or message it to their Facebook page.

At present, our operations are restricted to the garden city, but they are building their database of donors all across the country and look forward to spreading our reach in other parts of the country.

The second level of engagement that you can have with us is by encouraging more people to register with them. As an extension of this vision, whenever there is a successful donor arrangement and the beneficiary thanks them, they request them to ask three more people to register as a donor in order to keep the chain going till we reach a situation that no one dies because of a shortage of blood.

The third level is the one where you can intern with us. You would be choosing a team from various colleges, which would be briefed and trained by them to handle the phone calls and requests. The team would be directly responsible for coordinating with the emergency requests and the donors in the database.

The fourth level is you can request Khoon to organise a blood donation camp or an awareness session to spread the joy of this divine work and get involved in saving lives.

Please register with us and save a life. Be the change and belong to the 2% who can actually make a difference to people’s lives.

This work done by Khoon was also recently recognised by Ashoka’s Youth Venture program, an international community of young change makers, with over 6,000 venture teams in 23 countries across the globe.

Are you a superhero? Be one!

More from Chethan M

By Shantanu Mendhe

By Charkha features

By Rahul Shakdwepiya