Artificial Intelligence In India – The Future Of Work

Posted by hritikaggarwal
January 12, 2017

Introduction

An average professional in India spends a minimum of 8 hours a day and 6 days a week at work, adding up to almost 100,000 hours of his or her lifetime! Despite this substantial investment of time, there are common challenges – from unfair practices, to burnout, to boredom – that almost every worker faces. In India, particularly in smaller companies, employees – some of whom work for 11 hours a day – are not paid overtime. Extensive workloads, especially on managers, lead to high stress levels, affecting both work performance and individual health. So what is the solution?

Artificial Intelligence

What is this?

Artificial Intelligence is the technology with which machines not only understand but also perceive data that is provided to them. Taking an example, normal machines work only on a set of data that the programmer has entered, but an artificially intelligent machine can generate more data from its experience, understand and comprehend this data and act accordingly. This machine acts just like a human being with the abilities to learn and think on its own.

How is this a solution?

In the modern era, machines are human’s best friend. And machines with a brain of their own will be twice the help. They have applications in nearly any workplace, including reducing the workload on labour and improving the efficiency and the quality of work at the same time. Imagine, for example, if everyone had a personal assistant in the form of an artificially intelligent robot – our lives could become so much easier and more organised! These assistants can not only help you manage your work effectively and efficiently by making a detailed and do-able schedule but, with their power of understanding, can also track the conditions under which you work best, and customize your schedule to optimize your happiness and work performance. Beyond scheduling, the robots can also improve work life by performing accurate health checkups, saving you the trip to your doctor. And even if you get sick, your P.A will make arrangements and even do some of your work for you. They can make your work commute more productive with self-driving cars and smart traffic maps. They can even help you in your home life by keeping stock in your kitchen and ordering groceries online as soon as one item finishes, or by overseeing your children’s homework, enabling you to be less distracted while at work.

Won’t this reduce jobs?

Surely not! While these robots can take on tedious, repetitive tasks like scheduling and errands, nothing is better than a human when it comes to generating new, innovative approaches and solutions.. These robots will be able to work hand-in hand with the humans at improving the technology and creating high-tech tools for the future. Humans will still be the ones developing and pioneering new ideas in A.I., while the robots will be able to physically build the new technology with more speed and accuracy than humans. Even in fields like medicine, machines will be able to perform surgery with greater precision than doctors, but human doctors will always be the ones controlling the machines and making life-saving decisions.

Though A.I may eliminate some manufacturing and factory line jobs, it will ultimately lead to more jobs in creative, consulting and technology fields, boosting the overall economy of the country.

Conclusion

Artificial Intelligence isn’t too far ahead in the future of work, and offers prime solutions to improving worker happiness, productivity, and eliminating worker exploitation. This will improve the lives of the average worker, and generate more opportunities for growth and innovation.