Bangalore Mass Molestation: A Clear Sign That No City Is Safe For Indian Women

While the whole world was celebrating the New Year, a city in India best-known for its educated and affluent residents was witnessing mass molestation. According to a report published in Bangalore Mirror, the city witnessed hooliganism around the same time when the rest of the country were celebrating New Year. Reacting to the incident of large groups of men molesting women, Karnataka Home Minister G. Parameshwara, in a controversial remark on Monday, told ANI that, “such incidents do happen on New Year’s Eve and Christmas and that they do take a lot of precautions.”

What are governments for? How did politicians in this country become so ill-mannered? These questions are hitting my head since I have read this mass molestation news. What happened on New Year’s Eve at M.G Road, Bengaluru was not only unfortunate but was extremely shameful.

Why has he not been sacked yet for creating a feel of insecurity in the residents? The answer is very simple – people have elected him for their security. This kind of statements are not limited to Karnataka and to the Congress Party, what Azam Khan, K. S. Eshwarappa, and Nirmal Bairagi have earlier said is enough to understand the politician’s mindset on women’s safety.

I saw the pictures today in Bengaluru Mirror and was completely restless after that. The pictures are making it evident how scared those girls are. They went there to celebrate the New Year and what did we do to them? I was thinking that people of Bengaluru are well educated and they are really respectful of women but what happened on Saturday night was the final confirmation that we Indians are all same whether we are in Delhi or in the Bengaluru.

__

Image source: Satish Bate/Hindustan Times via Getty Images