No Country For Women

Posted by The STORY Tailorr in Gender-Based Violence
January 5, 2017
Editor’s note: This story is in response to Youth Ki Awaaz’s topic for this week – #UnsafeInMyCity. It highlights how safety is a concern for all of us, living in different parts of this country. If you have an experience to share, write to us here.

What causes the average looking gentlemen of this traditionally bound Indian society to turn into a scavenger at night? Is the smell of a woman’s skin the only cause of lust and subsequent transformation of a man into a potential rapist? In this society where we censor women in every possible way, judge them for putting on a western attire and blame it for being the sole cause for degradation of our so called culture and societal norms; aren’t we, the so called masculine clan practicing the same with harassment and molestation inspired for fun sake and togetherness which is also misinterpreted for westernisation?

Anybody on the street can be a perpetrator, something that was very well proven once again by the technically sound city Bengaluru on that horrific night of New Year’s Eve. Guess this incident very well underlined the quote “No country for women” and added a glorifying scar to the city for almost making it to the list of potential rapist cities. The vaccine to this is far from reach with even the top leaders and police authorities denying the facts and marking it as a mere heat of the moment action on that fateful night.

To be honest, fighting for this is irrational in a country, where even the day of Jyoti Singh’s death is only being marked as an anniversary on the calendar with no or very little change being seen so far.

These incidents are many in number with only a few being reported as seen with regard to my own state where the memory of a girl being molested on the streets of Guwahati still fills me with grief, or even a recent example on this 25th December in my very own town, Tezpur where a girl reported a similar incident of attempted molestation outside the church –
“We were moving with the crowd to the exit, when all of a sudden the push and pull increased, as I was trying to make my way out, I could feel someone touching my back, I was left stunned.”

The most saddening part of this is the psychological fear when asked to report – “I don’t want to create a scene, my parents won’t let me go out of my house or this will bring shame to me and my family.”

However, I will still be optimistic and say that we need to put some more effort into making stricter rules. But the fear of being out on the streets, still haunts.
It brings out the fear of putting up posts that matter. The fear to question the one who replies saying that s/he is not responsible and justifies every wrong action. The anticipation that this issue be raised in the Parliament by the opposition with the same mindset as that of demonetisation. The fear of being called inhumane if I cage my daughters as the last measure of protection. The fear, of living in society which would continue to say, “Men are superior to women.”