Death Is In The Air

Posted by meghna sen
February 25, 2017

Thirty minutes of cycling or jogging a day is counterproductive to inhaling pollutants on a daily basis. The light minute particles float on air and lodge deep in the lungs. These refer to particulates of matter – PM 2.5 that can go past the body’s defences. As stated by a new report on the State of Global Air website, 1.1 million premature death takes place every year due to the degradation in urban air quality. Since 1990, China has recorded a 17 per cent increase in these deaths, while the expansion is nearly 50 per cent in India.

The release of pollutants into the air are detrimental to human health. Delhi has the worst air quality. Delhiites often complain about respiratory problems and watery eyes. Kumar, 40, left his village more than 10 years ago to seek opportunity in the capital. “There is dust, dirt everywhere. It’s been 10 years since I have moved here and my family has also shifted. Where to go now? I feel scared to send out my children to play. My kids are suffering from severe lung problem. The government should take necessary steps to control air pollution,” says Kumar.

People have been warned to stay indoors especially those with lung diseases. Prolonged exposure to highly toxic air can cause cardiac arrest and lung cancer.The Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) data also showed increase in toxicity. Experts notified that the combination of PM 2.5 and ozone levels in the air is very poisonous for the citizens of Delhi. Delhi has added more cars than any other city, many of them using diesel or petrol. Now our capital has a staggering 7.5 million vehicles, choking not just its roads, but also its air.

Unlike China, India is not doing enough to tackle the menace of air pollution. To improve it’s capitals environment, China has spent $17 billion till date. Some environmental experts worry about poor air quality. This is yet to become a top issue for the policy makers. Cleaning up India’s air requires a comprehensive approach that is currently lacking. The pollution will have a moderate but certain impact on the entire system of mankind.