Do You Justify?

Posted by Rajath K Rajeev
February 15, 2017

Rape is not just a woman’s issue. It’s also about men who stop behaving like human beings and start behaving like animals. If someone started telling stories about how our genders were controlled by our genitalia and sexual arousal turns us into rapist automatons, I would definitely be outraged. I would explain in very small, very loud words that ‘I am a person and I can goddamn control myself.’

Men aren’t roller coasters. They aren’t werewolves. They aren’t walking penises.

They are people. They make decisions. Let’s stop talking about – ‘he couldn’t stop himself’ and start talking about ‘he decided not to stop’. Men deserve that dignity and the responsibility that comes with it.

Rape is the only crime where a victim becomes the accused. All because of that senseless justification that comes with it –

“When you get that little red beaver right up there in front of you, I don’t think it’s crazy at all. And I don’t think you do either. No man alive could resist that.”

Similar to a murder, rape is a reprehensible act that leaves a body defiled. But the victims aren’t like the dead who were murdered (brutally, of course) – they live and relive the event. Worse yet, they can never leave the scene of the crime.