Happy Periods: Getting School And Villages Period Ready

Posted by Shuma Banik
February 20, 2017

When I was going through my community immersion process where I stayed with one of the families of the students, I came to know about a lot of unscientific beliefs about menstruation which are hampering the academics as well as psychological development of the girls.  

I started off with my project “Happy Periods”, which concentrates on govt schools of rural Gujrat, Olpad block of Surat district. The aim is to get the schools and villages period ready and inclusive for all. 

I organised a campaign and raised Rs 36,000 through crowd funding in milaap.org. Wth the money raised, I have purchased 250 copies of menstrupedia comics which comprises of pictorial description and cartoon illustrations. I have planned to conduct 25 workshops in 25 different schools with girls of 6th, 7th and 8th standard and distribute books in each school so that they can take these comics back home and discuss with their parents and siblings. So far, conducted workshops with 100 girls along with their lady teachers.

Happy Periods is on its way to break this taboo of menstruation and get villages and schools period ready.