In Under 5 Minutes, This Short Film Explains Why Many Women Feel Like Outsiders

Posted by Saswati Chatterjee in Domestic Violence, Video
February 7, 2017

Supari Studios presents 'Outsider'

In late 2016, we collaborated with Mai Family Services, a Michigan based NGO to launch a film addressing the issue of domestic violence that women in the South Asian and larger immigrant community face in the United States. Written by Sofia Ashraf, and featuring the voice of Ratna Pathak Shah, this spoken word piece aims to raise awareness about the unaddressed problems these women endure everyday.Credits-A Supari Studios and Post Office filmIn Association with Mai Family ServicesDirector: Mohit Bhasin, Aditya TawdeExecutive Producers: Advait Gupt, Akshat GuptWriter: Sofia Thenmozhi AshrafProducer: Manoti Jain, Tara Kapur, Mohit BhasinPost Head: Aditya TawdeLead Animators: Harsh Sharma, Kunal PrabhuCell Animators : Mehr Chatterjee, Vikrant BarmateIllustrators: Mehr Chatterjee, Vikrant Barmate, Bhanushankar Bhartia2D Colourists: Ez Ak, Bhanushankar BhartiaAssociate Producer: Akshita KariwalaOriginal Score and Sound Design: Rahul Pais, Nariman KhambataVoice Over Artist: Ratna Pathak Shah StoryBoard Artist: Adarsh Panicker

โพสต์โดย Supari Studios บน 5 กุมภาพันธ์ 2017

“I am an outsider.”

These words, in Supari Studios’ just released short film, will haunt you; more so if you’re a woman. Because of how true the words feel. Because you understand how the nature of violence works, for women who face violence everywhere, it literally makes you an outsider.

In the times we live in, what is truly refreshing to see is how the film understands and explains that violence isn’t restricted to just abuse, but the entire system. The system that denies women jobs, traps them in a rigid patriarchal structure within their own homes and most importantly, doesn’t let them speak out. With a voice-over by Ratna Pathak Shah, the words, written by Sofia Ashraf (of ‘Kodaikanal Won’t’ fame) highlight how society dismisses women’s voices, their right to peace of mind and mental health. It also touches on taboo topics such as suicide and the lack of help for many facing abuse, showing exactly how exclusion works.

And therefore, where women are denied right to their bodies, to their own agency and finally, to any sense of self worth, in the end, what else will they feel but that they are outsiders? Forever.

But the most important message that needs to be spread is that you’re only an outsider only as long as you don’t let anyone in. Which is another way of saying: It’s important to talk. Not just for the greater sake of speaking out, but for your own sake. Because you are not alone. Because you have a right to speak out. And this film lets you know exactly that.