The Political Brainwash

Posted by Suyash Varma
February 28, 2017

For the last few days, there has been a massive uproar over the clash at Ramjas College. The “anti-national” debate has again kicked in. And the mainstream media has got a new muse, “Gurmehar Kaur”. No doubt the issue will go back in archives after the UP elections (like that happened with Anna Hazare, Cow Slaughter or the intolerance issue).
No girl, despite of her background or political orientation, should be threatened with “a fate worse than Nirbhaya”.
It is important to note that what happened with Gurmehar must be condemned. No girl, despite of her background or political orientation, should be threatened with “a fate worse than Nirbhaya”. The 20-year-old English Literature student must be appreciated for her courage to stand up against the cause.
However, what seems contradictory to me is her open support to the likes of Umar Khalids. How can a person whose father died fighting militants in Kashmir support the ideology of Kashmir’s cessation from Indian Territory? Isn’t this a political brainwash? She must introspect and understand that her father would never have wanted an “Azad Kashmir”. And, precisely, this is what people like Khalids want to do – gradually imbibe their distorted ideology of freedom in our mindset. Yes, if you ask, that’s a threat to the sovereignty of the nation.
How can a person whose father died fighting militants in Kashmir support the ideology of Kashmir’s cessation from Indian Territory?
Also, what amuses me is a girl who was a victim of cyber-bullying participated in a campaign #FightBackDU and #SaveDU, instead of doing anything against the trolls – another instance of the political brainwash. With the kind of media support and massive fan following on social media she has, a campaign to pressurize the Government for put in place a strict cyber-crime policy or devise a swift method for grievance redressal would have served the purpose. Thousands of women, including celebrities and politicians, are trolled daily on social media. Sonia Gandhi, world’s third most powerful women (as per Forbes), was trolled widely along with our former PM Manmohan Singh. Why not help them instead? Why not take out a march to support the victims of cyber-bullying? Probably, she will not be allowed to do so. This might not give her the limelight her political bosses want.
When a politically (ill-)motivated group wreaks vengeance upon the sovereignty of the nation, a retaliation is inevitable.
We must remember that the same left wing supported the Two Nation Theory propounded by Md. Ali Jinnah. What happened at Ramjas was a kneejerk reaction to the series of attempt to demean the country. When a politically (ill-)motivated group wreaks vengeance upon the sovereignty of the nation, a retaliation is inevitable.
At the core of this issue is a person trying to promote the ideology of a divided nation and a person whose father died protecting the unity of India. Gurmehar, it is up to you to continue your father’s legacy or fall prey to the “Azadi” group’s distorted ideology.