Leading The Way For Women Cricket To Stride Out Of The Shadows Of Male-dominated Sports

Posted by Gayatri Gambhir
March 2, 2017

From wrestling to tennis, from kitchen to education, women have left no corner to show their expertise. With many sports getting their own professional leagues in an attempt to develop sports and cash in on their ever-growing popularity in the country, women’s cricket has been left behind. But, it seems, direction of the wind is changing in their favour with the unveiling of the much-awaited Women Cricket League (WCL) on International Women’s Day, 8th March, 2017 at New Delhi.

WCL will kick-start with eight biggest College teams from Delhi-NCR, followed by Inter-city, Inter-state and then on International levels to unite and inspire women worldwide.

Participating Colleges : Gargi, Kamla Nehru, Jesus & Mary, Bharti College, Laxmi Bai

The objective of Women Cricket League (WCL) is:

• To present an international-quality cricket competition for Women
  • To provide exposure and platform to promote Women Cricket talent in India
  • To take Indian Women Cricket beyond boundaries and get them long due International name and fame they deserved
  • To promote and identify the hidden talent in women and take them to the highest pedestals alike other sports
  • To make the sport professional for female cricketers
  • To produce a large pool of talented Indian women players to play for the Indian National Team and later at International levels.
  • To engage hundreds of millions of passionate women cricket fans and encourage and facilitate women to start taking sports as their career
  • To create an inclusive work and sporting environment where women players, coaches, employees, volunteers and administrators feel valued and are able to contribute to their full potential.
  • To set new standards in Women sports administration in India

The Women Cricket League (WCL) will kick start on the auspicious occasion of International Women’s Day to celebrate / as a tribute to womanhood. The unveiling of the Teams, Logo, Jersey, Schedule of the matches etc will be announced shortly.